Motorcycle addict from Arkansas USA

FilipinoAV8R

Hello everyone!!

I am a sucker for abused or neglected motorcycles, which leads to my most recent acquisition... A 1998 VFR800. The previous owner said it's fast as hell and will wheelie in first second AND third. Some of the things he said made me cringe and I couldn't help but save this poor bike. He kept telling me how fast this bike is and I didn't have the heart to tell him that I have a Blackbird at home in the garage. He jumped the bike off with his truck and had it there idling when I arrived. He tried to ride it down the street but it died, telling me it has the common electrical issues that seem to plague VFRs. 

The blown fork seals, the clip master-link red eBay chain, missing bar end, and rusty hardware begged me to save her. This is my 29th motorcycle, and I have a passion for giving motorcycles a better home. 

I also have in the garage-

1999 Blackbird

1985 GPZ900r

2006 KLX250s

2001 Harley Dyna Low Rider

I've had a lot of random bikes over the years. 4 different Honda 919s, 3 Ninja 250s, a FJR1300, 1996 FZR600, ST1100, and to be honest I never really liked the VFRs. I test rode a 2004 model and hated it. The blackbird is still the best motorcycle I've ever owned. Second favorite motorcycle is the GPZ900r. I'll get the VFR going and probably use it as a commuter.

If any of you are on Instagram, I'm on there as FilipinoAV8R and I have a boatload of motorcycle pics. 

I think you may find that the 5th gen VFR (98-01) to be a very different feeling bike compared to the 6th gen (02-09). I did not like my '07 either but I still miss my '99.

Anyone who restores and rescues a machine is OK in my book! Welcome to the site and post some pictures of your progress once you start!

• Member Contributer

Well the sellers remark about a known plague may be somewhat accurate. The electrical system has seen it's fair share of gremlins, so you may want to start with checking the wiring harness for overheated and/or melted connectors. There are thousands of posts about the subject but to cut a long story short, go to www.roadstercycle.com and take a look at the SH847 or FA020AA regulator rectifiers and perhaps their wiring kits as well, you'll thank yourself (and/or the forum) later.

Like Marriedman said, anyone who restores bikes his alright in my book as well. With that, I'll say good luck and keep us posted as to your progress and of course, if you have any questions, post them up, plenty of knowledge here.

PS. If you don't have the Honda factory service manual, go to the downloads section of the forum and grab it.

2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

PS. If you don't have the Honda factory service manual, go to the downloads section of the forum and grab it.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

I appreciate the warm welcome from everyone!! I was almost late to work this morning since I spent most of the night researching what I need for this bike. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. That is some quiver of mc's you have and have had. You've obvioulsy have great taste in mc's.

(I've ended up with a restoration project with a new-to-me 98 VFR my ol' darn self.)

I agree with the others that it is great to save a mistreated mc, esp. a fifth gem (the best gen) in the proven fastest color.

Ride safe and have fun. In. That. Order.

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard! 

The Blackbird is amazingly powerful but you’ll find the VFR is very rewarding too. It has the perfect balance between power/weight/delivery and it grows on you over time. 

Less powerful than the Blackbird but lighter and more manoeuvrable, not to mention more comfortable to ride. 

Give it a chance and you might be surprised! 

Archived