New? member from Ontario, Canada

Ganboy70

• Member Contributer

Hi everyone, I actually joined back in 2011 after selling my CBF1000 with good intentions of purchasing a VFR1200 which turned into a Ducati Multistrada which turned into a Ducati Monster which turned into..a break from riding due to family circumstances.  Previous bikes include Honda V4's (V65 Magna, Sabre) which I restored then sold.

I'm back now and super excited that I finally own a gear driven cam V4 ..a super clean '01 VFR 800 (Blue); all stock except for Corbin seat and double bubble screen.  It's currently in storage (Ontario, Canada) however I took a quick pic before it was stored, more to come later.  

Planning on lots of maintenance and a few mods but nothing drastic.  Looking forward to learning more thanks to this fantastic forum.  

Cheers,

Tom

IMG_3629.PNG

IMG_3628.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a good ride. With a little TLC it'll take good care of you.

Mine was similar vintage. 01 with 20,000ish miles when I bought it.

They're pretty on the outside, but sometimes dirty underneath. You'll find you need to clean lots of stuff whenever you do maintenance. And little things definitely show age. For example, my o-rings were pretty crusty so I suggest you change them out when you decide to replace hoses or if you ever pull the throttle body. I did a clutch, I think sitting for a long time is not good on a wet clutch  and a bike that old without many miles may have sat for some time.

Other than that, most of my maintenance has been to make it better for me, not required.

It's a surprisingly nice bike for a 20 year old design.  Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

Thanks Moose, yes I agree once I take the plastics/tank off It's not going to be as pretty.  Among other things such as the clutch slave rebuild (nearing the end before clutch engagement), new pipe (OEM stock pipe is ridiculous), new front tire to match the new rear, new fluids and yes I have the o-rings on my wish list as well as t-stat, hoses, throttle body clean, PAIR mod, R/R mofset upgrade, etc.  Unfortunately it's a bit chilly up here just now so a good time to collect ideas and the hardware to do it all once Spring comes.  Once I actually get to ride outside of a parking lot I will surely add much more to the list.

Wish I was in California!

Cheers,

Tom

Archived