jeremyr62

VF500 as a winter hack

I bought this in Feb 2017 as a non runner project. It's now as finished as it's ever going to be. I was struggling with what to do with it. I tried to sell it in the Autumn with little interest here in Ireland. I could sell it if I priced it cheap enough and I may yet do that in the spring. However, I am in the very fortunate position of owning two very nice bikes in addition to this (one is a VF500F2). These bikes are so pristine I cannot bring myself to ride them much on wet salty roads. So I was going to sell the VF500F in the picture and buy a cheap Honda NC750S as a winter hack. However I then thought about it a bit more and realised I might as well use the VF500F as a winter hack. I have tons of spares and consumables, I know virtually everything there is to know about the 500, it is a very engaging ride, and it will be cheap to run. It may not be reliable but i doubt I will venture too far on it, initially at least. I just want to be able to hop onto it and not worry about it dissolving under me. Wish me luck!

DSC_0115x.jpg

• Like 1

Seems such a shame to subject a beaut like that to such a life.

It looks better in the pictures than in real life. Plastics are a bit scabby and the engine is from a 86 spares bike. It owes me very little. I will see how it goes. I have a 4 into 1 LASER exhaust I will put on it before I take it out on the salt. The end cans on it are Marvins not OE. They rust at the mere mention of water.

I admire your decision. Our two-wheeled machines are ment to be ridden. :wheel:

14 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

I have a 4 into 1 LASER exhaust I will put on it before I take it out on the salt. The end cans on it are Marvins not OE. They rust at the mere mention of water.

Is it worth saving the Laser for spring so you can tidy the bike up for sale? Does it urgently need a new header? 

Once our roads get salted I will get onto the attic. Have 2 sets of grotty oem mufflers which are "perfect" for said conditions :tongue:

The LASER is in sh1te condition but solid. It is supposed to be stainless but its a type of stainless that rusts.

I have loads of OE headers and a few decent collectors. The hard to find parts are the OE silencers. I have one set of good OE silencers off my F2 and they are stored away.

The LASER will go on the F and be ridden in the winter to save the collector and the Marvin silencers (and the front headers I suppose too).

The bike is as tidy as it is going to get.

Won't sell it if I can use it in winter (see first post above).

Am sure you will enjoy any winter ride (if the roads are dry) on a sunny, yet nippy day. The coffee or soup in a cafe along the way tastes a 1000% better for sure!

Seeing as its winter and we are thread starved, here are some more before winter pictures as a record of how its starts out.

DSC_0114s.jpg

DSC_0116s.jpg

DSC_0117s.jpg

DSC_0118s.jpg

DSC_0119s.jpg

DSC_0120s.jpg

DSC_0121s.jpg

DSC_0123s.jpg

DSC_0124s.jpg

DSC_0125s.jpg

DSC_0127s.jpg

DSC_0128s.jpg

• Like 1

And here's a vid after I took it for a ride last winter. That's how I know the Marvins end cans are made of a highly reactive element known as Italian Steel.

I realise this might all look like an for sale advertisement but it isn't. I have no desire to sell the bike now.

The engine you can hear running is one I had from a parts bike that I had had for years. I had just assumed it was a non runner but it's actually OK. Bit noisy but it had been sat for over 10 years. Will see how that holds up too.