Fuel tank alternatives? 84 VFR 500

ConnorHulegaard

Anyone have experience trying a different gas tank on an Interceptor? I have an 84 VFR 500 and the gas tank is pretty shot. Covered in dents and the gas cap won’t go in correctly. My goal with the bike is to strip it as naked as I can and go for a kind of vintage cafe racer/brat something like that. 

I was thinking about buying a more universal tank and trying to make it work on this bike. Most all of the tanks are made to mount in more of the cruiser style bikes, so I was wondering if anyone here has put any other kind of tank on one of these bikes and if so what kinds of tanks would take the least fabrication/alteration to make work on the bike. Thanks!

If you mean VF500 (I am sure you do), then not much as far as I know. I have not seen reports of anyone successfully trying to do this. I have often thought the best way to do it would be to take the bike to a local friendly breaker (if such a thing exists) and try a load of tanks on the bike. If you do manage it, please be sure to post back. Good condition VF500 tanks are very rare now unfortunately.

There never was a VFR500. Just the F/F2/Magna in Europe and Interceptor/Magna in N America. Bike had a three year model run. from 1984 to end of 1986 . Two very different petrol tanks too. The 84/85 has a different petcock location to the 86.

Tanks not the same. 86 has a different petcock. The petcocks are hard to find too so if you get a another tank make sure it either comes with a petcock or its the same as the one you have.

Biggest "thing" between 84/85 model and the 86 is the oilpump and oilsump. On the '86 the oilpump is bigger and the sump holds a little more oil..

• Member Contributer

and the gasket on top of the cilinders is different ("half moon shapes").

Speaking of oil, mine's due again  🙂

Rain or shine, she will do the business!!

P8120582.thumb.JPG.6a8b4751065bc170492f046444d1862c.JPG

Archived