Sign in to follow this  
Stray

Is 5th gen rear wheel perfectly centred or off centre?

Hello All, 

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the VFR 800 has an off centre rear wheel. 

Does anyone know know if this is true and by how much? Can’t measure mine as swingarm is stripped right now (should have measured before disassembly - silly mistake).  

Thanks in advance, 

Stray

My spare 5th gen rear wheel measures 98mm from the mounting flange to the >outside< of the rim on the machined side.  I don't have a spare 5th gen wheel without a tyre, so I cannot measure it properly (which would be to the >inside< of the rim, given that wheels are still measured in inches for some unknown reason...)

Using my best fuzzy logic, therefore, the correct measurement is probably 3.75", which (given the 5.5" internal wheel width) means that there is probably a "positive" offset from centre of 1.0".  

I have previously measured other Honda SSSA wheels and found that they had the same offset (e.g., my 5.5" NR wheel and a 4.5" NC24 wheel), so without measuring those wheels again, I would guess that they all have a 1" positive offset.

Ciao,

JZH 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply, JZH. 

My initial question could have been phrased better: are the front and rear wheels of a 5th gen in perfect alignment? 

In the fog of distant memory I seem to recall you saying the wheels are not perfectly in line. Can’t find the post now. 

Stray 

I can't speak for the 5th Gen, but I'm pretty sure I read that when HRC went to a 6" rear wheel on the RC45 it was offset to the front wheel (because of swingarm clearance issues) and apparently it made no difference whatsoever to how the bike tracked.

• Thanks 1

I don't think it was me.  We know the front wheel is in-line with the frame.  So the only question is whether the rear wheel flange, when the swing arm is mounted, is 1" offset from the frame's centre line or not.  I haven't measured that...

Ciao,

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for your replies, gents. Really appreciate the input. 

I’ll be doing the string test on Tuesday to measure alignment and report back. 

In the meanwhile does anyone have exact measurements for a 5th gen rear rim width from edge to edge? Mine has a tyre on and it’s hard to measure with vernier calliper. You’d need a naked rim to be exact. 

I think VFR rim is 157mm but tyre makes it hard to be accurate. Ducati 848 rim is 159. Both are 5.5 inch.

If you’ve got a loose 5th gen rim I’d be very grateful for your help. 

Stray 

I have a loose rim, and 157mm is the correct width.