Adding ABS

I'm looking into options for adding ABS to my 93 vfr. I hit a slippery patch while braking the other week and my front tire locked up and skid for a bit. I was going pretty slow and managed to stay up but it definitely got me thinking about working on some more safety oriented modifications.

I was wondering if anyone has looked into this? I'm hoping there is a way to integrate it into the stock set up. Or would I have to go as far as doing a full front end swap with something something that has stock abs?

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I've always had older bikes and this is my first time looking into abs systems.

Good luck!

More than likely, you'd need to "adapt" an ABS system from a non-Honda bike, because all the Hondas are either:

1) Linked brakes + ABS (which would be a nightmarishly complex retro-fit, IF it could even be done).

2) Are very new bikes ('Blades etc.) which would no doubt have a pile of integrations into other areas of the bike.

Whichever way you go, you can be assured of one thing. "Simple", it won't be.

Sounds harsh, but better hazard awareness/more progressive braking (on current set up) may be a more viable route...

• Member Contributer

Theres a thread somewhere on the web where a chap fitted ABS from a newer CB1300 to a older version of that same bike. 

I seem to recall he needed to swap the ECU and it needed calibration after installation but it worked! 

You’d need the ABS disc equipped front wheel and forks that acommodate the sensor and ABS callipers, the callipers themselves and an ECU that runs the whole thing. That’s basically the whole front end. 

Is there an ABS equipped bike that can slot into your ‘93? I’m not familiar with the model. 

On injected bikes a fuel controller like the Rapid Bike can offer retrofit traction control (by monitoring engine speed or something?) so surely ABS should be possible? 

Having said that it would be horrifically complicated (and expensive) so you might be better off with a newer bike as suggested already. 

Definitely possible - definitely difficult! 

Stray

Archived