Main fuse burnt/melted

jemery12

Hi all,

So I replaced my battery as my old one was dying and struggling to start my 04 VFR. After getting it replaced, I took a test ride for about 5-10 mins, and when I got back, the main fuse was melted. I originally planned on getting the VFRness as I did some research and it seemed like it would fix it. Then I came across mention of the SH847 and that it replaces the VFRness. Will getting the SH847 fix the melting fuse block problem? Thanks

• Member Contributer

I would suspect your melting fuse block has more to do with corrosion (=increased resistance = heat generation) of the contacts in that block/fuse than the voltage being applied. Still a good idea to check the voltage reaching the battery when running with a multimeter across the battery terminals. More than 15V would place stress on other components but would also start to cook the battery.

• Member Contributer

+ 1 with Terry. 

Melted fuses are not caused by too much current or voltage, it is caused by bad connections that have too much resistance and get too hot. 

It is a known fault on the 5G, can’t comment on the 6G but suspect it’s no different. 

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, jemery12 said:

Then I came across mention of the SH847 and that it replaces the VFRness. Will getting the SH847 fix the melting fuse block problem? Thanks

The two products are entirely different.  Changing your R/R will not fix the borderline inadequate OEM wiring.  IDK if the terminals on a VFRness are compatible with an SH847, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be the wiring upgrade.  If the SH847 comes with upgraded wiring, say in a kit, then this would be the ideal solution.

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

The two products are entirely different.  Changing your R/R will not fix the borderline inadequate OEM wiring.  IDK if the terminals on a VFRness are compatible with an SH847, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be the wiring upgrade.  If the SH847 comes with upgraded wiring, say in a kit, then this would be the ideal solution.

SH847 comes with upgraded wiring. It entirely eliminates the need for a VFRness.

SH847 Roadstercycle kit for the win.

www.roadstercycle.com

• Member Contributer

So just to be clear for anyone reading this, go with the kit or homebrew your own (if you know what you're doing).  Just swapping to a different R/R alone will not alleviate the symptoms of poor wiring and corroded connections.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, VFROZ said:

+ 1 with Terry. 

Melted fuses are not caused by too much current or voltage, it is caused by bad connections that have too much resistance and get too hot. 

It is a known fault on the 5G, can’t comment on the 6G but suspect it’s no different. 

Yep same on 6g, happened to mine probably 12 months ago. 

Poor wiring and/or below average maintenance 

Archived