VfrJedi7

Antifreeze coolant flush

Hey all. I recently just flushed my coolant system for the first time and I noticed when I was filling back up the bike only took 3 quarts and a little from.a 4th quart for the reserve tank. From the service manual it says about a  4.16 quarts and some for the reserve 0.42. See photo for FD bike. I ran the bike till the fans kicked on and let coolant circulate through bike. Do i need to run the bike for a certain amount of times or minutes? I wanted to know if I'm missing something? The filler neck and reserve tank are topped off properly. Does some coolant stay behind when doing a flush? It says radiator and engine in picture so maybe some stays behind. I upgraded to the newer Honda blue pro coolant and want to make sure my bike is topped off with enough coolant. 

20181118_095240.jpg

Thanks for the reminder.  I’ve got to do mine too.

what happens if you don't use distilled water and fail to change coolant often enough..............

sept_1_2018_026.thumb.JPG.a171c580cced25613b1477cf50b15f51.JPG

• Sad 1

Whoa crazy looking build up. From looking at the service records the last owner never flushed coolant since 2013 so I did a proper cleaning and flush. Was actually pretty clean just green coolant was a bit dark. Yeah I flushed about 3 times. One time with 50/50 mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar. Then 2 other times with distilled water. Filled up the radiator and reserve tank with about 3 quarts and 0.42 ounces for reserve tank from a 4th quart. I'm going to give the bike a good run let it cool and check one more time. If the coolant is topped off then should be good to go. Hey what is your  little pet called again? Type of animal? 

Pet ??  Off topic, but he's a Cymonys ludovicianus, i.e. black-tail prairie dog !

comix-vfr_12-5-16_009.thumb.JPG.a99e42af77ab1b385f57fc5ad833dc5b.JPG

comix-vfr_12-5-16_044.thumb.JPG.4a91e3ed155ee8db52718965d20ed570.JPG

• Like 2

Oh yeah. A little prairie dog. Yeah pet or family member. My little mini dachshund is a son to me. 

Screenshot_20171001-225532.png

• Like 1

I don't have the 1200 but for what it's worth it seems that air can be trapped even though you let it run until fan starts. I changed the thermostat on my 800 this spring and after riding it for a while the reserve was low, refilled and after that is been stable

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Thanks RhINO. Down by my water pump there is a bleeder hole to bleed air out. I took the bike for a 45 minute ride today and when I came back let the bike cool down my filler neck and reserve were fine. I remember when I drained the old fluid out the level it showed on a gallon jug. I'm going to take a empty quart and fill it with 3 quarts and compare the levels and see if it matches up. Yeah good you changed your t- stat it's important. Ride safe. 

On 12/1/2018 at 11:13 PM, VfrJedi7 said:

Oh yeah. A little prairie dog. Yeah pet or family member. My little mini dachshund is a son to me. 

Screenshot_20171001-225532.png

my 3.jpg

• Like 1

IShark yeah dachshunds are quite the character. Personality and loving little family wolf pack members. Pic is not my little guy but it's a good laugh. 

Screenshot_20181206-090454.jpg