Antifreeze coolant flush

VfrJedi7

• Member Contributer
On 1/23/2019 at 2:46 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

Pick your color...

Pro Honda HP Coolant 50/50 Premix 49% Propylene Glycol 50% demineralized water Blue dye

Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is pre-mixed Propylene Glycol with de-ionized water with blue dye

Belray MotoChill  pre-mixed Propylene Glycol with de-ionized water with blue dye

Prestone Xtreme Sport Prediluted Motorcycle Coolant Propylene Glycol 50% demineralized water with red dye

Dexcool 50% Propylene Glycol and demineralized water with orange dye...

I don't recommend Water Wetter for the street because in 6 months the steel
impeller on the customer water pump begins to show rust... I only recommend it
for track use and when you return to street drain the Wetter and go back to
normal coolant with rust inhibitors...

I need help.

I used water wetter not knowing it did not have rust inhibitors. I drained last week, after 2 years and had pretty signifigcant rusty water coating everything. What should I do now? What things do I need to address, thermostat water pump etc...?

The bike is in pieces for winter maintenance so can not run flush run flush. I filled with straight antifreeze so as not to leave dry. What next?

Thx 

• Member Contributer
On 1/8/2019 at 2:48 AM, lshark said:

that Interceptor has chain cam drive....gear drive didn't come around until later VFR750s

Correct that was what I meant by cocked up. It was that that lead to the cam drive in the VFR. Still that that VF is better looking than the first VFR !  Flame suit on !

• Member Contributer

Start with draining and wire wheel (Dremel) the steel impeller on the water pump back to new condition... fill with 50% 50% and monitor any new rust... then go into the thermostat...

• Member Contributer

Citric acid is easily obtainable from any supermarket and will do wonders for a rusty steel part left overnight to soak in it.

• Member Contributer

If you have a Honda car dealer nearby the Honda Blue Type 2 coolant is the exact same formula as the Pro Honda HP Coolant, only the color is different (Blue vs. Green).

In the event you do not here is the Amazon link. $22.00 a gallon including shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-Long-Life-Coolant/dp/B006YX9YZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548514551&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+coolant+type+2+blue

• Member Contributer
On 1/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

Start with draining and wire wheel (Dremel) the steel impeller on the water pump back to new condition... fill with 50% 50% and monitor any new rust... then go into the thermostat...

Impeller looked fine, but found lingering microscopic leak

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1.thumb.jpg.505e74eaf4daf80cc96ad9752a545299.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2.thumb.jpg.08214dc5d54a33a36a6c54746baacb09.jpg  

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, gig said:

Impeller looked fine, but found lingering microscopic leak

Good find, man.

I missed ONE o ring when changing them out. Guess which one leaked after the next flush?  And it wasn't a leak you could see. You'd just smell it as it must have been so small it aerosolized.  Anyway, I replaced the  O-ring, and when I pulled the knuckle the one in there was just crusty and awful.  As were a couple of others I'd pulled before.

I can't emphasize to folks enough, if you're tearing a bike apart for any reason, just change the o rings.  They're cheap insurance. Especially for those of us with older generation VFRs that might have sat for a few years.

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, MooseMoose said:

Good find, man.

I missed ONE o ring when changing them out. Guess which one leaked after the next flush?  And it wasn't a leak you could see. You'd just smell it as it must have been so small it aerosolized.  Anyway, I replaced the  O-ring, and when I pulled the knuckle the one in there was just crusty and awful.  As were a couple of others I'd pulled before.

I can't emphasize to folks enough, if you're tearing a bike apart for any reason, just change the o rings.  They're cheap insurance. Especially for those of us with older generation VFRs that might have sat for a few years.

Do you know of others that should be addressed while apart?

• Member Contributer

All the knuckles and the thermostat housing for a 5th gen. The ones under the throttlebody are a pain to get to, so worth doing if you're ever working under there.

I don't know where everything is on a 7th gen offhand, though. I haven't worked on that engine. Only the 800s and 750s.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/3/2019 at 5:27 PM, Stray said:

Have been looking at Evans waterless coolant lately but can’t bring myself to pay the premium...

Don't even think of it. I'll try to find my post/review of this on another forum but remember that water is the most efficient at removing heat. I can't remember which glycol Evans is made from but it's something like 40% less efficient at removing heat. Bikes do NOT have that much extra cooling capacity. When I ran it for a weekend my ZX-9R got up to 250 degrees almost immediately after getting off the highway. When I switched it back over to water wetter and an 80/20 mix of water to coolant, it's back to normal. 

Archived