2006 Makeover Project

TNRC51

Some of you may have seen this on Facebook already but I had a few minutes and thought I would share it here.  I acquired this very nice 2006 / ABS model a few years ago and decided pretty quickly that I did not like the graphics or the overall look that much. 

d70mvtwlub5e4ingbekloy5aa8tabw4u.jpeg

I began thinking about what I wanted to do.  I changed out the rear wheel with a nice 8 spoke that I found on Ebay early on.  This helped but still not what I wanted.  Then I looked at a lot of paint schemes to see how I wanted to go.  I wanted this to be a little understated but "sporty".  I am lucky that I have a friend who is a painter who agreed to help me out.  I did all of the prep work.  I scuffed the existing plastics and the tank with 1000 grit paper to give the new paint something to grip.

ucl6zve4q79jmh8qjuyo6spr4omqsob2.jpg

It's really pretty scary to see what you've done to a pristine finish the first time you try this.  Trust that when the clear goes back on it really is like magic.

e0jm31lq6vp1rnhdx3e1pa1qpy37ykj4.jpg

Next I laid out the design and let my friend shoot it. 

6lwywa2qqx5fc2uvq0sx5aqgmg8s05p6.jpg

I used two additional colors.  This one is a Lexus/Toyota color called "Storm Gray".  The second color is from Jaguar and matches the wings on the tank.  I finished by adding a pinstripe that we put under the clear.   Once the paint and clear was on, I did the final buffing and leveling. 

Here is the final result...

tijl3mju4lvck88ofl3d9a1s25eigli7.jpg

9qmrt4nfwxfsh5hpowld21phtwms533s.jpg

yax22zwu56jlkyeotvkoi1cuuucuclc2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very sweet! I like the black/gray split with the red pin stripe and how it extends across the tank. :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...

Now I can appreciate all the prep work.

I'm not feeling the paint scheme. It actually takes away from the VFR design which is a beautiful machine.

My take.

Ride safe.

Archived