battery or stator or both?

anth85

I noticed the voltage on my battery has been a bit low on my 6th gen recently. Often sitting about 11.8V when I get off the bike. My voltmeter is under the seat so I cant check it during a ride, the only thing I can see is the battery saver led on my heated grips flashing sometimes and not others. 

So I ordered a new battery from Tayna and somehow ordered the wrong one. It's 20mm too tall. Ive no idea how I've done it but I'm going to sort out a replacement that fits today for delivery tomorrow. I had to use my bike for work today so I put the old battery back on the bike, put the charger on over night and it took it 14.8v on charge which dropped to 12.8v when the charger was taken off. It then stayed at 12.8v for about 5mins before I had to leave. Which got me thinking the battery might actually be ok and it might be the stator, because if the battery was dead it would have dropped lower. 

I've got off the bike at work just now and it's at 11.7v with ignition on, it recovers to 12.2 with everything off. So I started the bike back up again and reved the engine which brought it upto 11.8v. So now I'm looking at replacing both. 

Can anyone give any advice?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

If it's your money, replace everything!

If it's my money, I'd test first, and the first thing I'd test would be the battery (which sounds weak from your description).

Ciao,

JZH

If it's your money, replace everything!

If it's my money, I'd test first, and the first thing I'd test would be the battery (which sounds weak from your description).

Ciao,

JZH

Yes, testing first would be the best choice.
When it comes down to working on my bike, I like to go in one time.
If you haven’t already search for ‘the drill’. It will walk you through electrical system diagnostics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks, guys. From posting on another forum, they suggested it's most likely the R/R. I've already sorted a new battery being delivered tomorrow since I'd paid for one anyway and since the R/R is supposed to be a weak point on these bikes I figured I'd put a new one on anyway for peace of mind. I'd have liked to test it first, but I'm at work at my voltmeter isn't, if I don't order today it won't come before the weekend so I'd most likely have to limp around on it for longer. 

The question is, where the hell is the R/R on the 6th gen. Everything I can find online is for the 5th. I have a haynes manual at home so I'm sure it's in there. But I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.

• Member Contributer

I would definitely not put a new battery on it until I've taken care of the RR problem. I'd also be checking the condition of the

stator, since they are a known problem area. I'd check the output, and maybe even pull the cover and visually check the condition

of the stator for burnt color.

Just now, FJ12Ryder said:

I would definitely not put a new battery on it until I've taken care of the RR problem. I'd also be checking the condition of the

stator, since they are a known problem area. I'd check the output, and maybe even pull the cover and visually check the condition

of the stator for burnt color.

Will do that at the same time. Inspection is just a matter of unbolting, checking, re-gasket then bolting back up again isnt it? I was looking at them online and one place said there were multiple versions and to check which you had first. Is there part numbers I should be looking to decide between?

Pull the right side fairing. The r/r is up front on the frame before the stem. Check the connector between the r/r and the stator for signs of corrosion or heat. That is in addition to the drill with your meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_5261.JPG

So, mine turned out to be a bad splice?  The stator and r/r had been replaced by the previous owner. They both checked out fine but we started looking at a ball of electrical tape and found that the heat had melted the splices, heat shrink, and the tape into a ball.  If you end up in this place, don't wrap the wires together. Just an example of how much heat they can make without a fuse blowing. May or may not have something to do with spending that whole day riding in a down pour.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, anth85 said:

thanks, guys. From posting on another forum, they suggested it's most likely the R/R. I've already sorted a new battery being delivered tomorrow since I'd paid for one anyway and since the R/R is supposed to be a weak point on these bikes I figured I'd put a new one on anyway for peace of mind. I'd have liked to test it first, but I'm at work at my voltmeter isn't, if I don't order today it won't come before the weekend so I'd most likely have to limp around on it for longer. 

Hi Anth85.

Disagree with the statement of the R/R being the weak point. There are far more Stators that have failed than R/R's. Just unplug the connector to your R/R with the three yellow wires, measure the wires (from the non R/R side) to Ground, there should be no sign of low resistance if there is your Stator is shorted to ground, a very common issue with 6th gens. This issue appears to be caused by a lack of cooling oil over a specific area of the stator, they all seem to fail in the same area on the stator. Interesting the 8th gen has added forced oil cooling to resolve this situation.

My own personal experience with the 6th gen is two failed stators and no issues with the R/R.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

If you have a 6th gen, my bucks on the stator...... 

Here's the drill.... do it and you could save some headaches...

It takes 5 minutes to test your stator.  It should put out about 24 VAC at idle and about 60 VAC at 5,500 rpm.  There should be no continuity to frame ground.  My money is on the stator.  I think you'll find your R/R is good.

Much like Knute, don't as me how I know

07-20180712_164723.thumb.JPG.44bb464c13a9368b007a878d506469ee.JPG

• Member Contributer

I think I'm guilty of thinking about the 5th generation when I write. They have had trouble with the RR's, and I was thinking the problem

carried over to the 6th generations. Sorry.

thanks, lots to check out this weekend when I pull it all apart. 2 questions regarding the stator, should I be expecting to spill some oil? Is there multiple part numbers or the same one across the range?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Grum said:

Interesting the 8th gen has added forced oil cooling to resolve this situation.

What did they change?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, JZH said:

What did they change?

Ciao,

JZH

Hi JZH.

Check out the lubrication drawings for both 6 and 8 gen, notice the addition of the oil spray for the 8gen stator.

Cheers.

6gen_Lubrication.thumb.jpg.d500da54325ba4ffd9623ac1df76d30a.jpg8gen_Lubrication.thumb.jpg.befa8c64ddff45c99f0fc8d54d428d67.jpg

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

I think I'm guilty of thinking about the 5th generation when I write. They have had trouble with the RR's, and I was thinking the problem

carried over to the 6th generations. Sorry.

Oh, the 6th gen RRs aren't the best (to say the least.) 

If I ever had the displeasure of another 6th gen, it's a day 1 change item. 

Swapping with a series rectifier like SH847 will lengthen stator life most likely.

ok so ive jumped the gun a little I know. New R/R is here and it turns out ive ordered the wrong one. Its for the 5th gen vfr by the looks of the connectors. However now i have it apart the one for the 6th gen looks nothing like what I have in front of me. What I have is the 3 yellow wires, thats the same. but for the other connector mine has 2x red, 2x green and 1x black. The new one has the same minus the black wire. Looking at the photos of the 6th gen it doesnt have a second set, it has a red and black cable direct to the battery. So ive no idea what I have??

this is what ive got in front of me

mine

this is what ive ordered amd have new.
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR53.html

this is what the website says i need
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR881-Regulator-Rectifier-CBR600-VFR800-CB900F-CBR900RR.html

• Member Contributer

The last link is a unit that bypasses the stock wiring harness. Small upgrade to wiring I guess.

I would get a SH847 or at least a FH020AA 😉

• Member Contributer

Weird, those bottom two links, two posts up, just dump me back at the beginning of the thread.

Sure looks like you've discovered the root of your problems, congrats.

1 minute ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Weird, those bottom two links, two posts up, just dump me back at the beginning of the thread.

Sure looks like you've discovered the root of your problems, congrats.

they shouldn't they are to a website selling this kind of stuff, maybe try right clicking a copy the link, then putting that in the address bar?

Archived