Wiring a Rapid Bike and a Voltage meter/USB charger

MooseMoose

• Member Contributer

I installed a Rapid Bike a while back and while I was at it I ran some wires to the front of the bike. I had to replace some plastic a few weeks ago and since I had it stripped I put in a volt meter with a USB charger and I thought I'd share.

First, to be safe with the rapid bike I got a marine grade relay to isolate the circuit. The signal wire comes off the tail light feed, so it closes the relay when the ignition switch is thrown. Draw off the tail light circuit is super low, so I'm happy with this, and it allows me to run a fused line to the Rapidbike module.

ElectricalFun_180923_161232.jpg

You can see that the relay module fits really nicely beneath the tail fairing. It's sealed marine grade, so a little rain won't cause trouble.

I ran a fused line to the rapid bike and, while I was at it, added a second fused line for future use. That's the one I ran to the front of the  bike.

ElectricalFun_180923_161220.jpg

I used techflex tubing to keep stuff neat.  Ignore the wires above in a jumble, that's the USB cable for hooking up the rapid bike and isn't normally there. It's messy enough there without an extra 5' of cable to stow!

The second fuse I ran to the front of the bike. Again, I used techflex to route it and keep all the wires tidy. This stuff's the shiznit and keeps the mods low key.

ElectricalFun_180923_161550.jpg

I chose to put the USB ports on a switch because I had originally meant to install a different volt meter that was too damned bright at night, but I found this one and it is a good illumination. I still have to lean a little to look at it, but it is just one of those VFR things. If you're nervous at all you HAVE to check your electrical now and again, right?  You don't need it all the time and, frankly, I'm happy to have as little in the circuit as possible at any given time.

So here's where it comes out at the front:

ElectricalFun_180923_161516.jpg

Once I decided to keep the switch I added some heat shrink to those spade connectors, but don't have a picture.

Of course, I put the switch in the wrong place, because I'm stupid, so I had to modify the bezel a little:

Repaired_180923_161328.jpg

But it  lights when on, opens the circuit entirely when off, and I can operate it with a glove on, so a little file work on the plastic bezel where nobody can see it isn't going to hurt me.

Here's the voltmeter:

Repaired_180923_161400.jpg

and with the cover open:

Repaired_180923_161354.jpg

I put it up front in case I decided to do a sat nav or phone mount, or a dashcam. I thought it would give the least obstructed run to something on the middle of the dash or handlebars from there.

This was a ridiculously simple mod and, after a handful of rectifiers on my 3rd gen, I'm super happy to be able to quickly see good voltage without having to pull the seat and break out my meter.

• Member Contributer

If you do I suggest a couple of things.

1. Don't bother with the switch. 
  2. Definitely isolate it with a relay so it turns on with the ignition switch

I didn't like my first meter as it was obnoxiously bright. I should have just tossed it and gotten a different meter from the git go instead of  mounting it where I did and adding a switch. Drilling a hole is a commitment, after all.

I used this relay: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N66W2XF/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is cheap, waterproof, beefy as all hell, and has negligible draw when the contact is closed so it won't tax your system at all. Plus, it fit perfectly on the frame beneath the fairing.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

What's the make/model of that dual-usb voltmeter, and did you say you'd just do the voltmeter and the relay, not the switch?

• Member Contributer
Ted -- Check Amazon for voltmeters - there are only about a hundred choices..... 

Moose's note on the switch..... its personal taste, but I have a switch on mine. (you can mount a switch anywhere) That way I can check the battery before the key is flipped on and know if the battery is effed or not. With the relay in the rear... at the flip of the key your drawing power before start. Its splitting hairs either way is good. 

Here's one with a switch already in it....kinda cool.... 

There is also a thread on -- show us your voltmeter pics thats really good.... 

• Member Contributer

Great - thanks - I saw that other thread, but your link is the best looking one I've seen...Appreciate it!

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, TedJake said:

Great - thanks - I saw that other thread, but your link is the best looking one I've seen...Appreciate it!

Agree with that, I ordered one for my car, maybe I'll stick one on the bike too. 

Archived