2015 VFR800X 32k Service

Skids

• Member Contributer

Dropped my 2015 800X in for its 32k service yesterday. No major issues with the bike so far, though I do seem to be being hard on my c&s as I will be fitting my 2nd replacement set since new next weekend.  :003:

Despite the evidence, for my own peace of mind, I am having them check the valve shims and will accept the ridiculously high charge for checking them. They called me last night to say that one needed changing, it's 0.01mm too tight.

• Member Contributer

On your valve --- 4 ten thousands? (inch)--- To each his own, but I would ask how much with and without.....  I may be tempted to wait for the next go around, since I do all work on my bikes myself. ....  - Looks like you are a mileage champ, you'll get there soon enough...

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, mello dude said:

On your valve --- 4 ten thousands? (inch)--- To each his own, but I would ask how much with and without.....  I may be tempted to wait for the next go around, since I do all work on my bikes myself. ....  - Looks like you are a mileage champ, you'll get there soon enough...

Outside tolerance is outside tolerance.  :huh:

I used to do the 16k service on my 5th Gen myself, did most of it myself on my 6th Gen but took it to a dealer for the valve shims as I didn't have the lifting tool but the X is so difficult to take apart that I resigned myself to using my dealer. Plus I am really busy atm and as it's my daily commuter, I need her back on the road asap.

Yr correct, about the mileage....her 16k service was Jan 18!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Skids, would you recommend the crossrunner? I do my own servicing etc mostly but don't like the sound of it when you say the crossrunner is difficult to work at, you've been through 2 sets of C&S already?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Saoirse said:

Hi Skids, would you recommend the crossrunner? I do my own servicing etc mostly but don't like the sound of it when you say the crossrunner is difficult to work at, you've been through 2 sets of C&S already?

The only tricky bit I've found so far is removing the plastic & tank. The rest is fairly standard VFR800.

I think my early chain issues were down to poor maintenance on my part when I switched from auto-lubing to manual.

I have dealer serviced until now as I need the bike daily for my commute, but I am considering doing my own annual services from on.

Archived