Shipping VFR1200f - tie down points

UpArrrow

Hi All

Just joined up and my first post here.   I've arranged purchase of a bike and need to have it shipped from Kentucky to Utah.   On the rear I'd assume the grab handles are the go-to tie down spots.

But I've no idea of what's available on the front end.     

Also, anyone have a great experience with any of the shipping co's that advertise for bike shipments?   The driver will have to palletize the bike as part of the service.   I think anyway.

Thanks - Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike 

Salt Lake City

I trailer my 7th gen fairly regularly and for the front, I use soft ties around the lower triple tree.  It's always rock solid. You do have to be careful of the angle of the straps to keep it from rubbing on the fairings.  I use the passenger foot-peg mounts for the rear.  Never had any problems.

Can't give you any advice on shippers...

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Canyon dancers will work fine.   The Heli bars only have one allen bolt securing them to the tubes.  Make sure they are appropriately torqued.

For a trip across the country by a third party, If possible I would do both CD's and secure from the lower triple tree.  

Thanks GR

I've got this one coming to Utah.    I'm VERY tempted to pay $200 or so to have the luggage removed and shipped via UPS to prevent damage when the bike is shipped.   Or I might send the seller a roll of stretch film and ask them to wrap the bike up for me after it's palletized.   

Yes, I'm paranoid lol

https://brucewaltersford.net/2010-Honda-VFR1200FD/Used-Vehicle/Pikeville-KY/9150525/Details.aspx

I've used Canyon Dancers on smaller bikes with great success, but my VFR has the LSL handlebar conversion kit and I felt it would put undue pressure on the aluminum bar.  When I trailer, I do remove the saddlebags as my method of tie down would have the straps rubbing the paint on them.  I usually leave the top box on and haven't had an issue, but it does leave it kind of tall at the rear...

P.S.

I know you'll find that Corbin seat uncomfortable, so I'll give you my seat in exchange...Wouldn't want you to suffer! 😁

24 minutes ago, Darrenk said:

I've used Canyon Dancers on smaller bikes with great success, but my VFR has the LSL handlebar conversion kit and I felt it would put undue pressure on the aluminum bar.  When I trailer, I do remove the saddlebags as my method of tie down would have the straps rubbing the paint on them.  I usually leave the top box on and haven't had an issue, but it does leave it kind of tall at the rear...

P.S.

I know you'll find that Corbin seat uncomfortable, so I'll give you my seat in exchange...Wouldn't want you to suffer! 😁

Well, I'm 5'5" with short legs so if the Corbin raises me up too much it may very well be made available.   It's the heated version.  

Archived