Abs brake flush and air bleed

VfrJedi7

• Member Contributer

Hi all. Wanted to know if any of you service your brakes and do the labor yourself? I have looked into the service manual and it looks like your flush about 4 times. One time for left front middle bleeder nipple using top brake lever then the front right then back to left front top bleeder nipple bleeding using brake pedal then last the rear nipple with brake pedal. I'm mechanically inclined to repairs and it seems straight forward. I feel confident enough to try it but is there any thing I'm missing? I want to use the old school way with a motion pro bleeder tool. I'm trying to save money on dealer labor. Is it worth it for this bike or better off at dealer? 

I'm getting ready to do this and the front pads at the same time, so this is pretty good timing for your question.  I've read of horror stories trying to bleed the linked system with the ABS modulator, and according to the service manual, you do have to follow a precise procedure, but it doesn't seem difficult.  The pads won't be here until Friday, so I haven't started yet, but I do plan on using an inexpensive bleeder kit from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-brake-fluid-bleeder-with-auto-refill-kit-61912.html

I've been doing all of my own maintenance lately as the local dealer service department can't seem to keep a decent street bike tech...If you feel comfortable doing your own, I say go for it; no better way to bond with your bike.  If you don't have the service manual, it will definitely pay for itself over the dealer's hourly rate.

If you do it after Thanksgiving just use the old turkey baster (a new one is only a couple of bucks) and suck out the old brake fluid from the master first, then refill.  Makes the job go quicker using less brake fluid.

• Member Contributer

Yeah man no better way I believe to bond with your bike. Im going to do a coolant flush also so I will be taking the fairings off which I never have done. Also I'm going to check the air filter while I have the fairings off and take the others off to check the filter. In the flushing steps it does not say anything about the ABS modulator. Having to touch anything with it just follow the proper steps which calipers to flush first to last. Yeah I here ya on the dealer mechanics. I checked 2 places by me just to see and one was outrageous at $260+fluid and another was decent at $165+fluid. But I feel comfortable taking the time and doing it myself and saving $.Thanks for the link for bleeder kit. I shop at harbor freight and they have decent stuff especially the free items you get also. Good luck on pad change. Mine are still good for now. Here are photos of the manual steps flushing with wrench or bleeder kit like motion pro. Anyways thanks DarrenK and ride safe. 

Screenshot_20181121-123710.jpg

20181121_122325.jpg

20181118_103033.jpg

20181121_122404.jpg

20181118_103055.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey thanks Andy yeah the turkey baster is a great idea. I'm sure the thanksgiving Turkey won't mind afterwards. 

Swimmer yeah I'm confident if you follow the manual should go well. Thanks.

Thtanner cool part from harbor but I picked up the motion pro bleeder. With a compressor I know it's a breeze tho. 

Changed the front pads and fluid yesterday.  It was a fairly easy process, the hardest part keeping those damn retention clips in place long enough to get the guide pins in.  Almost need three hands for that, but finally got it done.  Brake bleeder made easy work of changing the fluid.  Hopefully, the new pads will be good for another 20,000 miles.

Archived