I am thinking about pulling a trailer...

PACIFICMAN

Hello All, I am curious about something that I don't ever remember being addressed on here. A pull behind trailer for the 6th Gen. I know it may seem absurd, but, I have started doing a new line of work,.

I have a Kit / Package of gear that I need to transport to my jobs. I have used the VFR as my commutation / predicability machine here in Greater Los Angeles for the last 10 years or so and am really missing the time saving / lane splitting ability while using my SUV. I don't need much payload but more than I can rack and luggage. I have a large-ish Pelican case and some Misc. light but too big for onboard items. It totals Maybe 100 pounds, Max.

I am looking for Advice, Ideas, Experiences related to a pull behind the bike trailer. How to hitch, etc...

Thanks in advance everyone.

PACIFICMAN

• Member Contributer

I  dont have any experience but if I had to, I would go with a single wheel type. Lots of stuff if you google. - If I had to go there, I might be tempted to fab something up. 

• Member Contributer

I used to have a pic of it, but a guy that used to work at the Deal's Gap store would ride his 6th Gen pulling a single wheel trailer and every day he would ride through Deal's Gap to and from work.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:09 PM, kave said:

In my opinion, bikes with trailers are just plain absurd.

Filtering / lane splitting with a trailer is just asking for trouble.

Agreed.  Open USA roads, yes.

Tight or traffick points in Europe, nope. 
I can just see you filtering and a car clipping your trailer because they didn't see it or expect it - as much as I wish I had a trailer.

• Member Contributer

This, IMHO, is the best solution. I'm guessing this photo is of someone in VFRD.

Photo

This is a UNIGO.  And there is an archived thread here that discusses it.

They are still in business. https://www.unigotrailers.com/

Classic Industries in Australia may have a hitch. The following site lists a TH55 as fitting a 6th gen.
https://www.classicind.com.au/Shop/

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

In the fifth gen Owners Manual under Accessories & Modifications (on page 5) it states:

"Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle. This motorcycle was not designed for these attachments, and their use can seriously impare your motorcycle's handling."

I personally would never do it and I, figuratively, shake my head whenever I see any mc pulling a trailer. I can imagine all sorts of situations that having one of these "wagging" behind would have v bad outcomes. 

Don't do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Being a Wingabago owner I’m familiar with the many trailers available for towing behind motorcycles. Even in the FJR world there are a few hearty souls who pull. Though I don’t recall anyone doing so while lane splitting. Uniglo seems the best for this use.

(And I think most brands/models have a warning in the owners manual against the practice. Lawyers. Go figure.)

My biggest question would be about how to attach a hitch? Do model-specific hitches for the VFR exist? If a custom-fab was made, what would be the attachment points?

Enquiring minds.

Please update us on your progress.

B.

Apparently there are hitches designed for the VFR (https://www.classicind.com.au/Shop/). They appear to attach to the sub frame and have "descending" arms/rods on which the hitch is mounted.

I think the primary issue with lane splitting would be auto drivers not seeing the low trailer, changing lanes and colliding with it. Some combination of antenna/flag array could make it more conspicuous. But it does seem dicey.

The one wheel trailer would be the way to go.

Archived