Repairing Scratches with Color Rite

SlickWeevil

Has anyone tried repairing deep scratches with the Color Rite kit?  I have some scratches on the fairing from when the side stand folded on my.  I was thinking that by the time you get the primer, color, and several coats of clear, that you might be able to wetsand down to level with the paint, and have the repair come out looking somewhat decent.  Not going for perfect here, but for $60, might be worth a shot.  

FYI this photo was after compounding and polishing.  

nicks.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have tried the ColorRite pens on my silver 6th gen. I wouldn't use them again, but it's always possible that a more talented hand might have achieved better results than I did.

First, to give ColorRite its due, their color-matching was superb. I have no complaints there.

The real issue with the pens, I think, is the clear coat. The "pens" are maybe more of a "marker" that uses a chisel-shaped nib to apply a liquid layer of pigment or clear. It's difficult (maybe impossible?) to use such a nib to lay down a layer of clear without the friction-based application process marring the soft color layer beneath it. Plus the pen applicator just does not lay down a smooth layer of clear.

I later decided to just paint the entire fairing using ColorRite's spray can pigment with a 3rd party 2-component aerosol clear coat. That was also a bit frustrating, but I think good results could be achieved with practice. Practice that won't be cheap by the way, since the ColorRite products are premium-priced (relative to hardware store rattle cans).

My advice to someone wanting to try the pens would be:

1. Consider the cautious approach and test the full process on an obscure part of your bike.

2. Consider trying just the pigment without the clear. Maybe it will endure inside the scratches.

What will likely make the cautious approach difficult for you is that the ColorRite process is fundamentally consumer-grade disposable. Testing the process necessarily loads the pen's applicator nib with pigment or clear that will soon dry, at which point the applicator will probably never again function as well as it did that first time. You might be able to restore the applicator with judicious solvent use, but then you'll need to ensure all that solvent evaporates out, etc.

I've had my best results with a small artists brush. Build up the scratch with color and use a block to wet sand. You want it to end up smooth without removing the surrounding paint. When you have that to your liking, you can spray a clear and wet sand/polish to blend.  At least you don't have the CandyGloryRed. It is impossible to match.

• 4 months later...

I just finished my color right Kit with the aerosol spray. Granted, it was my first time using it but I did follow  the instructions, but it did not match the factory coat with the candy glory red.  I’m in the middle of trying to figure out if I want to buy a replacement painted OEM,  or have a body shop paint it. The Colorite kit was a waste for me. 

I got the $35 kit.  After a lot of trial and error, I was able to get somewhat acceptable results.  (sorry, don't have a pic ATM).  You can still see the scratches, but they are less visible, and the black areas that were down to plastic look much better.  It is NOT a perfect fix though.  The problem is that if you get the area sanded flush with the surrounding paint (which is no small task), when you go to polish out the sanding marks, the polishing pulls the paint out of the scratch long before the surrounding, harder paint glosses up.  

When I got the bike, I also bought a new rear cowl.  The paint matched as well as could be hoped for, considering the bike is 15 years old.  I'd say go OEM if the price is the same. 

• Member Contributer

Go to your local body shop, ask were they buy paint ,as you need a special color for a certain " out door art piece. "

ride your bike to the paint shop.. in my area its MID-ATLANTIC PAINT... the guy takes a pic of your paint with a special cam or has the color code..looks at your paint and may add or subtract from the blend to make the paint "aged " in color ..

thats how you get a perfect match.:fing02: 

THEY WILL PUT IT IN A SPRAY CAN!!! :cheerleader:

i got 2 cans of paint and a can of clear for under 50 bucks  !!!

the gastank in this pic was in a crash and needed to match to 25 year old paint.. dont ask why.. but you can see the paint is perfect match to the fender and frame covers..just needed buffing 

honda%20600_zpsdnpuw5jw.jpg

honda%20600%201_zpsh8k7g8oe.jpg

Archived