1984 Miniceptor Refresh

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer

There's ya problem 🙂 Easy fix 👍

Avoid grease on the bar, attracts dirt then wears the throttle tube. Nylon throttle tubes are supposed to be run dry, they also absorb lube & expand which can make them feel sticky !

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mohawk said:

There's ya problem 🙂 Easy fix 👍

Avoid grease on the bar, attracts dirt then wears the throttle tube. Nylon throttle tubes are supposed to be run dry, they also absorb lube & expand which can make them feel sticky !

While I'd normally agree with you, in this application it's called for and the sealed grip ends will help keep the bar clean. Grease is called for in the FSM for this one and with regular maintenance will not be an issue. Maybe if the bar were refinished in the future to remove the rust and create a new smooth surface, we could skip the grease. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 8:15 AM, SEBSPEED said:

I fixed this by cleaning the switch and replacing the button with a spare. 

Honda could make a ton by selling JUST those starter buttons. One side of the pegs always seems to break off. I've not found any glue that will keep the broken part attached. Someone here drilled out the remaining peg and slid a new rod into it. Tough to do. I did that once too, I think. I think last time I just went to ebay and bought like 4 of the whole pods and ended up with 2 that had decent buttons.

What an interesting rebuild, 15 years ago I was working on my vintage race bike and learned as I went.

I have found more tips on working on the VFR's in this read than in years of doing it myself.

At the start of the article you mention using Berryman's when rebuilding the carbs.

Do you find it a good product and will not harm the carbs?. When I was rebuilding carbs years ago I got some carb soaker, and while it really

cleaned the carbs it also eat the little nylon slides in the carb body, not good.

It has been a long time since I have redone a set of carbs and sure don't want to mess up the carbs on my 1990 VFR750

P2250963.JPG

soaking can lead to problems with throttle shafts and choke plungers seizing up when the bike sits for awhile, so it's essential to LUBE those parts before installing carbs.

soaking is a lazy way to clean.

7 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

soaking can lead to problems with throttle shafts and choke plungers seizing up when the bike sits for awhile, so it's essential to LUBE those parts before installing carbs.

soaking is a lazy way to clean.

We're talking about soaking the fully disassembled bodies, which is exactly the opposite of a lazy clean... 

31 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

We're talking about soaking the fully disassembled bodies, which is exactly the opposite of a lazy clean... 

i'm sure you don't mean that the throttle shafts are removed in a fully disassembled body b4 soaking.  therefore, they need lube or will stick closed.

Archived