5th Gen Jack Up Kit to raise bike at the rear suspension

RossR

Question

• Member Contributer

I noticed that Lust Racing and Hyperpro sell a jack up kit to raise the bike at the rear suspension.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Does it really improve the handling of the bike?
The options range from 20mm rise in increments of 5mm to 35mm.
I did a search for "jack up kit" on the forums, but nothing came up.
I hope that it's OK to post links so that readers know what I am talking about.

Any feedback and advice would be appreciated from someone who has actual experience with raising the bike .

I am 6' 1" so getting on and off a higher bike is not an issue, but I weigh only about 170lbs, so I was wondering if raising the bike would increase the weight on the front wheel, and cause the back to have much less traction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR8...h=item3628f2cbbf:g:QLgAAOSw-xVaSUWW:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/honda-jack-up-kits/vfr800f-98-01-hyperpro-jack-up-kit.html

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

The 5G responds really well to having the rear raised.

Keep in mind that the original shock is now well past its service life, and was crap to start with.

Getting a new shock built can have the rear raised by adjustment or longer length.

I'm only 5'6" and have raised the rear with new shock by 15mm.

I can't sit flat footed (never could anyway), so I normally shift to the right when stopping and stand on my toes.

I'm used to it and made a huge difference.

• Member Contributer

I've been considering doing this to my 4th gen. My last one I had dropped the triples about 10mm and it really improved the handling, but it sacrificed some ground clearance.

So, I want to do this when I install a new shock. But, dang, 160$ for two metal plates seems very spendy! Just seems a bit much!

I've also found this place. A much simpler and cheaper one:

https://www.bikefarmmv.com/epages/79512538.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/79512538/Categories/"Heckhöherlegung bikefarmMV"/"Honda Höherlegung"

I've got an email to them to see if they will ship to US.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Brown81 said:

I've been considering doing this to my 4th gen. My last one I had dropped the triples about 10mm and it really improved the handling, but it sacrificed some ground clearance.

So, I want to do this when I install a new shock. But, dang, 160$ for two metal plates seems very spendy! Just seems a bit much!

I've also found this place. A much simpler and cheaper one:

https://www.bikefarmmv.com/epages/79512538.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/79512538/Categories/"Heckhöherlegung bikefarmMV"/"Honda Höherlegung"

I've got an email to them to see if they will ship to US.

I did find the same company after I started this thread. They are very much cheaper (probably clearing out stock) and their website shows that they ship worldwide.

I just don't know which height to order since they have multiple options.

There is also another solution from the UK which is even cheaper and easier to install, but I don't think that he ships outside the EU.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VFR800F1i-and-VTEC-4mm-Rear-Shock-Ride-Height-Spacer/121341826210?hash=item1c408954a2:g:nZ4AAOSwQz1bKlpF:rk:6:pf:0

The person at at VFRworld who gave me this link said that a 6mm shim gives about 25mm rise at the rear wheel, so I guess a 4mm would give about a 17mm rise.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RossR said:

I did find the same company after I started this thread. They are very much cheaper (probably clearing out stock) and their website shows that they ship worldwide.

I just don't know which height to order since they have multiple options.

There is also another solution from the UK which is even cheaper and easier to install, but I don't think that he ships outside the EU.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VFR800F1i-and-VTEC-4mm-Rear-Shock-Ride-Height-Spacer/121341826210?hash=item1c408954a2:g:nZ4AAOSwQz1bKlpF:rk:6:pf:0

The person at at VFRworld who gave me this link said that a 6mm shim gives about 25mm rise at the rear wheel, so I guess a 4mm would give about a 17mm rise.

At that price would be worth trying for sure!

I am looking for about 25mm I think.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

You can add about 5mm to the top of the shock and have enough threads to be comfortable. All you need is regular washers. 

Buzzner, that's exactly what I thinking yesterday, when I looked at how some have modified the 929 shock which is a different length from the OEM VFR shock. They simply put a spacer at the top.  I don't know enough about motorcycle geometry to assess whether these triangular brackets lift it in a differently than the washers. I'm still learning.

The link that I provided earlier to the ebay vendor in the UK is precisely for a spacer to be fitted to the top of the shock. He only charges about GBP 5.00 per spacer. I corresponded with him yesterday. He is a VFR enthusiast & an auto mechanic. He cautioned about raising too much at the back because then you get better cornering, but at the price of more instability on the straight which could lead to a tank slapper. He said that he thought that a 4mm spacer would raise the bike by about 13mm, which he felt is all that you need on the street. He also sells a 6mm spacer but advised against me buying it.

"Brown81", take note if you are reading this as you wanted to go for 25mm. The other vendors offer options from 20mm rise to 35mm rise so I still haven't figured it out.

• Member Contributer

The triangles are made from (relatively) inexpensive aluminum stock, so £108 also strikes me as a bit crazy.  It wouldn't be very difficult to make a pair.  

Or a 4mm shim... or just use washers.  I think the shim is supposed to be easier to fit, though, with it's open end.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty  certain you could raise the rear 30mm with no stability issues whatsoever. 

The VFR does not have sport bike geometry, it is actually very lazy. 

Archived