New Front Pads Fitted - EBC HH's

Grum

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

After 57,000ks and with a 1800k upcoming trip, thought I'd replace the original front pads. I've always been a fan of the EBC HH's and 9,000ks ago I replaced the rear pads with EBC FA488HH's.

A few days ago I fitted two sets of EBC FA390HH's ($59.95 a set AU!) to the front, I have to say, I am very impressed with these new pads, there is just so much less effort on the brake lever required for the same amount of braking compared to the original Tokico pads.

Just thought I'd pass this snippet of info on, EBC HH's are a great brake pad, so impressed I won't use anything else. YMMV.

Cheers.:beer:

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Grum,

I put Brembos in mine. They are red! Look trick, but that's about it.

We are heading to The Island Classic this year, unfortunately only one Viffer. The other guys are on Hardley Rideables an Bimmers. See you there !!!!

• Member Contributer

No! Sorry.

Would have to lie on my back on the floor and take a photo showing the back side of the calipers.

Looked best in the packet and on day one! Now they just look like everyone else's filthy pads!

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, VFR78 said:

No! Sorry.

Would have to lie on my back on the floor and take a photo showing the back side of the calipers.

Looked best in the packet and on day one! Now they just look like everyone else's filthy pads!

Surely they'd only look good in the packet as about 99% of the pad is obscured by the caliper! 

• Member Contributer

While we are on brakes, I would like to try to fit braided lines, but are unsure how they would effect the ABS operation.

Venhill do lines from the Modulator down to the calipers only, whereas Galfer replace all lines, except the hard lines. Hel don't seem to offer an option at all!

My previous bikes did not have ABS, so it was a simple swap. The improvement was remarkable.

Has anyone done the modification? If so, did it go well?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, andrearonin said:

It’s only me that thinks 57.000km with the first  front  brake pads is quite a lot?

i had them changed at 24k 

Yes mate, I just thought as he lived in Oz he'd have done lots of traffic free miles

Mine were below the wear marks at 16k miles, so I took the opportunity to swap to stainless steel pistons and new seals when I did the pads .. Honda OEM pads

• Member Contributer

Changed mine at 33,000 km. They still had plenty left on them.

I don't play in the traffic much and 10k was in one across Australia run.

It depends very much on your style or type of riding. Some riders do not hammer their brakes.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, andrearonin said:

It’s only me that thinks 57.000km with the first  front  brake pads is quite a lot?

i had them changed at 24k , not finished but I was going to a track day and the mechanic told me they didn’t have much left

Yes 57,000k's and still not down to the wear markers. All my riding is country stuff, virtually no stop start city crap at all. Just checked my records on two other OEM front pad replacements on my previous 6gens 53,000ks and 55,700ks. Country riding sure has its benifits. Who wants to use brakes anyway, they only slow you down!!!!!!!

Cheers:beer:

On 11/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, lazyeye said:

I use EBC on all my bikes. The stock pads on the VFR had a tendency to fade on the track, but the EBC sintered stay consistent.

I fully support that statement.

That's what i do too.

• Member Contributer

I love the HH pads and stainless lines, but I don't have ABS. I replaced my front pads at 17,000 miles, around 27,000 km. They

had a little life left, but not much. The next set at 35,000 miles.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, soichiro said:

most riders on here use ebc hh. 

I always got the sense that most riders wound up with EBC pads because that's what the shops stocked.

I always bring a set of OEM pads with me to the shop.  😉

At 17,000 miles I got my first replacements put on.   Front and rear wore evenly and were almost down to nothing.  Fronts were so far gone, I had to ride using only the rear brake getting to the shop!  Mostly city commuting, my brakes get a really good workout.

Your mileage may vary.

First pull up, then pull down.

Etc.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

At 17,000 miles I got my first replacements put on.   Front and rear wore evenly and were almost down to nothing.  Fronts were so far gone, I had to ride using only the rear brake getting to the shop!  Mostly city commuting, my brakes get a really good workout.

Ya scarring me Rectal, fronts so far worn! I make sure that I have a good look at the pads at least once a month. A bright torch with your head and wheel in the right spot and you can view the edge of the pads. PLEASE check them regularly, would hate to hear you suddenly had metal to metal just when you needed them in an emergency!

Safe riding.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Grum said:

Ya scarring me Rectal, fronts so far worn! I make sure that I have a good look at the pads at least once a month. A bright torch with your head and wheel in the right spot and you can view the edge of the pads. PLEASE check them regularly, would hate to hear you suddenly had metal to metal just when you needed them in an emergency!

Safe riding.

LOL, yeah, you're absolutely right, thanks.

FWIW the mileage seems fairly consistent with past experience with the 4th gens, maybe a bit sooner but my riding has been more commuting and less fun so there's that.

Archived