Front sprocket freeplay

Drewtaylor1234

Hello this is accturaly about a Honda cbr 650f but I hope people here will have more experience. 

I believe my front sprocket is basically the same setup as what's on a VFR .

After reading a old post on here someone was having the same problem as me.

I now understand the sprocket movement on the shaft, is for the chain alignment so the front sprocket can wiggle to stops the chain and sprockets wareing out. But I just think this is causing ware to the output shaft. 

The main reason why I'm worried is beacuce there is a very tiny bit of rotational movement also ,(like a couple of hair lines worth ). And I think it could only get worse.  I wasent happy about the 1mm movement of the shaft,but after seeing it also move a tiny bit rotational it's really bugging me.

I seriolsy think this design is appalling and it's only going make the shaft allot more sloppy over time .

My bike is a year old with only 10k so I want any issues sorting out on warranty I've got a year left .The only thing is Honda say it's normal but they aren't talking in facts . I'm sure this design is great for the chain and sprockets but just makes the output were out to soon I mean they probably could still last the lifetime of the engine anyways but I don't want it going worse when it dosent need to I would rather damage my sprockets eariler. Do any of you guys shim it out to stop it moving or anything? Is this a common problem? Please help it's driving me mad . Also sorry for my rubbish spelling I'm dylexic

• Member Contributer

The amount of lateral movement is just fine, it allows for slight amount of out of alignment between rear and front sprockets. It will

keep the chain from wearing on the sides of the sprockets. The amount of play should be minimal, shimming is completely unnecessary.

Almost any bike you check will be the same, the countershaft bolt will bottom out on the countershaft, not the sprocket. That way there 

is no chance of the sprocket wearing a bit and the bolt loosening.

And you're right: any axial play will only get worse. Ideally there should be none that you can feel. Obviously there is some clearance

or you wouldn't be able to remove the countershaft sprocket without great difficulty. IMO if you can slide the sprocket on/off without

feeling any "catch" as the sprocket goes past the worn spot, you're probably alright. If you can feel a "catch" then you can slather it up

with anti-seize, keep a close eye on it for more wear, and ride it. Changing out the countershaft can be pretty outrageous unless you

can do the work yourself. And it is pretty labor intensive.

If it were mine, I'd ride it, watch it, and sell it if it started wearing more noticeably. The chain should be looser rather than tighter. A loose

chain will wear less and last longer than a chain that is too tight.

Archived