Cold startup quirk?

jstehman

Every cold startup I have to crank her over twice before she starts.

First long crank 5 secs or so she won't fire.

Second crank starts immediately and purrs at 2000rpm til she comes down to 1200.

Battery at 12.9v cold. New Air filter.
22k miles valves not checked.

Starter valves not synched (yet)

Every startup throughout the day no issues. Just that first initial crank won't fire. Thoughts?

Edit:
Bike is stored in a garage. Could a temperature difference mess with the IAT enough to think that it doesn't need a rich mixture right away?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Not sure how sophisticated the 6th gen is in this regard, but many modern bikes are looking for oil pressure to build during those dead revs before firing off. The longer and colder the sit, the harder it is to get oil circulating?

I found a post where someone had flooded the motor, and the flood-start procedure worked.

When I ride, I ride at least 20miles. I'm fairly positive I don't have a flooded condition.

I am still yet to try the two key on sequence..

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, jstehman said:

I found a post where someone had flooded the motor, and the flood-start procedure worked.

When I ride, I ride at least 20miles. I'm fairly positive I don't have a flooded condition.

I am still yet to try the two key on sequence..

Hi Jstehman.

Riding the 20miles you state will definetly Not cause a flooded start situation. The reference you made was to a guy with a 7th gen who just rolled his bike out of the garage to wash it then started the bike rode into the garage and stopped the engine. The next time he went to start the bike he had the flooded situation. Rich fuel mixture had not evaporated from the cold combustion chamber causing an over rich non combustible situation for the next cold start.

Are you using Premium High Octane Fuel? If you are then this might be your reluctant start issue. High Octane fuel is less volatile than standard unleaded fuel, so particularly in cold climates with a cold engine this can have a definite effect on starting ability. Run your bike on what your owners manual specifies, there is no gain to be made on a VFR by running Premium Fuels.

In Australia I've run standard unleaded 91ron as specified by my owners manual for many years without problems. I have never used Ethanol added fuels.

Cheers.:beer:

Well I'll be!

I just went out for a ride and she fired right up first try!

Rolled her out of the garage, key on, fuel pump primes, hold start button for maybe 3 or 4 seconds.

I think before I was only giving it maybe a full second of crank before letting up. Both my SV and my Magna start within a full revolution so maybe I was thinking the VFR would be the same.

I will try and reproduce my technique next time.

@Grum

Regular 87 octane.

I'm not sure what the previous owner ran as I've only had the bike for 2 months.

I have ran about 3 tankfuls of 87 through and I have no issues out on the road.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, jstehman said:

Another cold startup today.

Held the button for three seconds and she fired up no issues.

Must be the nature of the beast I guess

Sounds like you no longer have an issue. For info I'm sure I've read somewhere, that during the first crank revolution on start all cylinders get a squirt of fuel. Three seconds on the starter button doesn't seem too excessive. Just make sure you hear the fuel pump prime every time you turn on the ignition.

Cheers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

With modern FI/CDI engines the ECU doesn't know where the crank is in relation to the cams when you first try and start.

It needs to do a rev or two so as the cam and crank angle sensors sort their lives out and the ECU knows where everything sits in relation to one another.

Phil

Archived