VF500 Dynojet kit

jeremyr62

Currently searching for something to mess with on my two VF500s. Anyone any experience with the Dynojet kit you can still buy for all model years of the VF500? They don't make any great claims for performance gains but I wouldn't mind having a go at installing it. Both my bikes run well as is, but with no local dyno I have no real way of knowing if they are jetted correctly or if they could be improved. Both bikes can get to 180km/h (gps) eventually. Plug chops seem to be the only way I could  judge how good/bad my jetting is. I have two sets of 30mm carbs and two sets of 32mm carbs. One of the sets of 30mm carbs are ruined (seized pilot screws) so I could use the slides out of them and enlarge the breather hole in those  as per the Dynojet instructions.

Anyway if anyone has done this and noticed a change either way, be grateful to hear.

I tend to stay away from a dynojet upgrade kit. Dynojet needles are way harder than the original Honda needles.

The needle seat on a VF carb can't be replaced. So if the seat would be damaged by the needle, and the seat can't be relaced, we are facing carb replacement. 

• Member Contributer

Nothing cryptic......  with the @ and a member's name, said member gets a notification of the topic....   And it worked :beer: 

I’ve done a few runs on other bikes so yes, I appreciate the risk. I have top ended the bike quite a few times so I think it can handle it (famous last words). If it does drop a valve I have a spare engine too.

The bike top ends at about a real 180kph (GPS) so I would estimate this at around 40hp.

Some claim far more but I am sceptical if the bike is stock as mine is. A modern equivalent could be the new Ninja 400. 

The only dyno data I have ever seen for a VF500 is that produced when the bikes were new and a US mag tested the 84 and then did the 86 two years later. These indicate around 50hp.The guy I am taking it to has a good rep so I’m hopeful the power/torque data and what comes out of the exhaust might give a few clues about how the carbs are set up, and if it can be improved.

The engineer in me has to know..

Archived