Rear wheel too tight

Katie

Hi Folks

Had a new set of tyres fitted a couple of days ago and now the bike is really hard to move. The chain tension is fine and there doesn't appear to be any drag from the brakes. However, even with the bike on the centre stand, there is absolutely no free movement of the wheel.

Any suggestions as to what the tyre fitters might have done to cause this and, more importantly, what I need to do to fix it??

• Member Contributer

Hmmm...Did you ride it home from the tire place with no problems?  I hate to ask, but did you triple check to make sure it's really in neutral?  Chain has good lube?  If the answer to all three is "yes" then my guess is they severely overtorqued the wheel lugs (my owner’s manual specifies they should be tightened to 80 lb-ft).  Hopefully others with more mechanical skill than I will chime in soon and help you figure it out.

This topic reminds me of a good song 😀

• Member Contributer

I would be thinking rear brake or chain tension. You say tension is fine so brakes next check .

Takes two mins to remove the caliper and check. 

Too replace the tyre the only only thing that needs moved is the exhaust for access. Nothing else should be touched. 

Even the hub bolt bolt doesn’t put pressure on a bearing.

• Member Contributer

If there's no movement in either direction that rules out chain and drive. ..which only leaves the brakes

Try taking the calliper off as Fink suggested 

Are you sure they put your bolts back in? Slightly longer would bind ... 

Assuming you you can rotate it is there any noise?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Katie said:

Answers are, yes, yes and yes

And absolutely NO thanks for getting Cheap Trick stuck back in head again!

Sorry about that - ain't that a shame? 😀

Checked the tyre size is ok (I've seen the hugger damage when a 190 was used on the wrong bike!) and all the bolts are definitely the right ones. The brakes would be the obvious answer but there's no abnormal noise when rotating the wheel and there was no overheating or brake failing when I went for a 100 mile ride the day after the tyre was fitted. The only issue is that it's a pig to push in and out of the garage!

• Member Contributer

This is crazy! Never heard of this happening After a rear tyre replacement, its simply a rear wheel remove and replace. Nothing needs to be disturbed other than the exhaust swung out of the way and wheel nuts.

Is the tyre fitted a 180/55/17?

Remove the rear wheel. Drop the brake Caliper off. Grab hold of the disc rotor, it should spin freely.

Wonder if something has flung up from the road and wedged within your chain housing, possibly front sprocket area?

Lets know what you find.

7 minutes ago, fink said:

Have you checked the front end? 

The rear wheel is dead stiff when the bike's on the centre stand. Will worry about the front when that's fixed!

3 minutes ago, Grum said:

Wonder if something has fling up from the road and wedged within your chain housing, possibly front sprocket area?

Lets know what you find.

Interesting thought. Would explain why the usual 'brake jammed on' issues aren't arising.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Katie said:

The rear wheel is dead stiff when the bike's on the centre stand. Will worry about the front when that's fixed!

Slacken the chain tension to its maximum slack. Now move the rear wheel back and forth, does it move freely for a short distance UNTIL the chain slack is taken up? Which would indicate something jamming your chain.

Checked the tyre size is ok (I've seen the hugger damage when a 190 was used on the wrong bike!) and all the bolts are definitely the right ones. The brakes would be the obvious answer but there's no abnormal noise when rotating the wheel and there was no overheating or brake failing when I went for a 100 mile ride the day after the tyre was fitted. The only issue is that it's a pig to push in and out of the garage!

Have you got down on your hands and knees, on your back even, with a powerful torch and visually inspected front sprocket area, swing arm, rear hub, brake lines and calliper?

I'd remove the rear wheel and check the calliper, perhaps the floating half is bound in the braking position and not releasing, who knows whether the tyre mob accidentally and unawares somehow bent something out of shape applying surplus force instead of rubbing neurons together. Perhaps something flung up and wedged in on your 100 mile ride post-fitment. You didn't happen to notice if it (the wheel) was stiff on checking out of the tyre joint?

Check also rear brake fluid reservoir, perhaps the system suffered some overheating and the rubber diaphragm is deformed in such a way as it's essentially producing hydraulic pressure at the calliper. I know you said there's no typical brakes-stuck-on symptoms, however you don't specify.

Anyway, when you manage to get free for a couple of hours, go through a process of ruling components out one by one...

I would advise against riding in case something is overheating or rubbing or whatever as it may cause more expensive damage and worse still critical failure and you doing some damage to yourself in a fall in traffic or out at speed...

Good luck Katie. If I was still in Oxford I'd offer to give you a hand checking it over.

Thanks all, for your advice. Being the person I am, I decided to take the bike to work today to so how it ran. As noted, it was 'orrible to reverse out of the garage but ran fine and freewheeled ok with the clutch in. Checked the brake disc for signs of glowing at the first few stops, nada. 😉 When I got to work (70 miles away), it was just as 'orrible to manouever but the rear brake disc was stone cold. On the way back tonight, it felt a little easier to push. Rode back to Oxford, went to the gym and the bike moved absolutely fine...

So, absolutely no idea what that was all about!

• Member Contributer

Good to hear. But what you've experienced is not right. I'd still do a complete inspection of chain, brake etc to establish a cause.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Katie said:

So, absolutely no idea what that was all about!

I think it's safe to say you'll never have a career as an aviation mechanic.   Really, any kind of mechanic.   Now I have to wonder why you even came here in the first place?

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Lee 2002 said:

I think it's safe to say you'll never have a career as an aviation mechanic.   Really, any kind of mechanic.   Now I have to wonder why you even came here in the first place?

I tend to agree with Auspanglish, (Brake Caliper Jam).

The Caliper Glide Pins are lubed from factory, but don't last forever.

Its a Service Item, that never seems to get Serviced.

The lube dries and it rusts in there, Seizes.

SeizedCaliperSlide.jpg

The caliper Squeezes but barely releases.

I've seen it more often on bikes that are stored Outside.

I put the bike on Center Stand, run back wheel in 3rd gear (gently rev up/down, or it'll jump) for 20 seconds.

Feel the Rotor,,.. getting Hot?,,.. Brake Drag.

Pull the Caliper apart (gently or the rubber boots will tear) clean, ReLube Glide Pins (NOT WITH REGULAR GREASE).

My favorite Lube of the Decade is Molybdenum DiSulphide (MOLYKOTE).

It'll outlast the bike.

If it is Glide Pin Seize, then its time to do the Fronts too.

Good Luck.

6 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

True, true and just to piss you off  😘

Thanks again for the advice all. As mentioned, the brake disc is not getting warm but will drop it off to check.

My Futura will be back in service this week so will have the chance to look at the VFR in daylight at the weekend (no power in my garage and work steals all the daylight hours!). 

Well if the brake components were not heating up, something was creating drag somewhere else... perhaps something caught between tyre and rear hugger. You did mention a hugger, did you not? Usually if something gets stuck in there, you'll see the wear mark on the tyre's surface. Or worst case scenario you suffer a tyre blowout... or if something jams you will suffer the consequences.

Whatever it was, I always have a distrust of mystery issues, and am especially  wary of resuming use when they disappear as mysteriously as they appeared in the first place.

You're "braver" than I, but if you will insist on riding, remain vigilant and even stop and get off and touch bits that don't normally heat up to the point of being capable of burning you... to see if they're heating up overmuch. Normally you can rest your bare hand on a tyre. A brake disc you might only be able to touch momentarily, depending on how long it takes you to dismount and remove your glove...

Alternatively, and preferably, drop it off at your preferred mechanic's ASAP ...and report back...

Needless to say your "bravery" worries me!! Not keen to say I told you so.

12 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

Well if the brake components were not heating up, something was creating drag somewhere else... perhaps something caught between tyre and rear hugger. You did mention a hugger, did you not? Usually if something gets stuck in there, you'll see the wear mark on the tyre's surface. Or worst case scenario you suffer a tyre blowout... or if something jams you will suffer the consequences.

Whatever it was, I always have a distrust of mystery issues, and am especially  wary of resuming use when they disappear as mysteriously as they appeared in the first place.

You're "braver" than I, but if you will insist on riding, remain vigilant and even stop and get off and touch bits that don't normally heat up to the point of being capable of burning you... to see if they're heating up overmuch. Normally you can rest your bare hand on a tyre. A brake disc you might only be able to touch momentarily, depending on how long it takes you to dismount and remove your glove...

Alternatively, and preferably, drop it off at your preferred mechanic's ASAP ...and report back...

Needless to say your "bravery" worries me!! Not keen to say I told you so.

Don't worry, I accept 'daft; as an alternative to 'brave'! If it helps, I have had (over many years) experience with warped brake discs, hydraulic failure, oversized clutch level actuation pin, snapped cables, stretchy chains, poorly fitted huggers and sticks and stones jammed into socket holders. Results have been variable but roadside insurance has been my friend once or twice...

Despite there being nothing visible, nothing audible (with or without engine running) and nothing heating up, I do have the same distrust of 'occasional' issues. Dropped the bike off at a mechanics this morning and hoping they can sort whatever the problem is. Will be a bloody long walk home if they can't...

20 minutes ago, Katie said:

Don't worry, I accept 'daft; as an alternative to 'brave'! If it helps, I have had (over many years) experience with warped brake discs, hydraulic failure, oversized clutch level actuation pin, snapped cables, stretchy chains, poorly fitted huggers and sticks and stones jammed into socket holders. Results have been variable but roadside insurance has been my friend once or twice...

Despite there being nothing visible, nothing audible (with or without engine running) and nothing heating up, I do have the same distrust of 'occasional' issues. Dropped the bike off at a mechanics this morning and hoping they can sort whatever the problem is. Will be a bloody long walk home if they can't...

Bravo!! or Pip pip!!... as some of my octogenarian Oxonian customers (sic) might have said. Not something an Oxfordian, as opposed to Oxonian, would have uttered I dare say.

Common sense, the least common of all, has prevailed!!

It may well have been the glide pin has freed itself, if that binding happened to be the cause, we may never know. And no, it hasn't excaped me you've experience riding bikes and for the record did check the rear wheel's behaviour on the centrestand... albeit your plea of guilty to the alternative lexigraphy of brave.

Awaiting the verdict with baited breath... check the homeward national express and rail options.

Archived