Rocks don’t Rock

PorradaVFR

• Member Contributer

Had a rare (these days) jaunt in the Bay Area hills and was heading home on 280 southbound when I hit a rock / chunk of concrete at ~65-70mph.  The bike went into a brief headshake then settled down, but I knew it had been a nasty whack and started to pull over to check it out.  As I went from the #3 lane to the next exit ramp the steering got heavier and heavier...leading to me stopping about halfway up the exit ramp with barely any control at the front end (rear brakes DO work! 😉  ).  Thankfully no further drama, aside from waiting around for the tow.  Took the wheel in to a shop but I’m pessimistic that it’s repairable.  Anyone have a line on a good condition 6th gen wheel?  

IMG_0478.jpg

I've know of car wheels with more damage than that that were successfully repaired.   But I don't know if that conveys to a motorcycle wheel.   Is that a crack at the spoke root or just the paint lifting?  I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

As a side note that appears to be a lot of wheel weight.... but I know you're in CA so that isn't lead.... so maybe not.

• Member Contributer

Not sure yet, the shop has not replied with a decision.  I don't know if that's a crack in the paint or the wheel itself, but I'm pretty resigned to having to replace it.  

Lee: yeah, no lead in CA weights so I guess balancing takes more of them...got me.  

• Member Contributer

This happened to a friend of mine. We were coming back from a trip to Central California and he hit what looked like a mini boulder (Yeah, slight exaggeration) but it was the rear wheel. I was literally on the same line coming around a corner when I saw the rock and then him hit it. He was lucky not to go down as it lifted his rear end up! We were able to get down the hill but he was losing air on the way down. The leak was slow but steady and he was able to get from Ojai to Orange County by stopping for air along the way. I've been lucky in that the small rocks I've hit were more like dirt clogs and not the real hard ones that don't break apart when you hit them.

@Lee 2002, those look like the .5 oz weights that I use, so that looks like 2.5 oz on there. I've had some wheels take about 8 of these! When I get to the point of placing a wheel on the balance stand and it pendulums like mad, I will just break the bead and rotate the tire, sometimes this helps but sometimes not. I had one used Dunlop that I mounted for a friend and wow! just about everything I tried, I could not get the wheel to be calm when putting it on the balance stand. I think I ended up with 7 or 8 that time. I just put on a used Pirelli Super Corsa on a wheel and had to do the tire rotate thing. I think the wear of the tire makes it more uneven and makes re-mounting a little trickier.

Archived