Back on a VFR!!

• Member Contributer

Hello, I have been a member for quite sometime and used to post a bit. I had a 1994 750F. When I lived in CA I rode if for many thousands of miles and loved it dearly. Neve let me down.

Upon moving to Raleigh, NC I sold the bike. Think it had around 70G miles on it. It was tough to do as my love for riding has been a lifelong passion. 

At any rate, I recently found an identical bike for a good deal. I had been jonesing to get back in the saddle, so picked it up. I am very very happy! After 6 years of not having a bike, its great to hear that gear whine again!

So, back to VFRD it is!

Also, I am actively looking for a phone mounting solution for this generation, and would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks! -Dave

IMG_3631.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome back! I would look into Ram Mount, they have plenty of mounting options, I use a perch mount combined with an "X" grip on my 6 Gen and it works well. I have the phone mounted vertically and even on the bumpiest of roads I have not had any issues with it slipping out.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-174-UN7U

• Member Contributer

Welcome back to the asylum. You just could not live without the insanity!? That is a great looking example and in the fastest color. You obviously have great taste in mc's.

6 hours ago, squirrelman said:

Can't ya just keep the phone in your backpack or pocket ??  it's a distraction nobody needs.

If you use your phone as a GPS and are touring, they are not a distraction but a nice accessory. Coupled with a Sena, you could listen to music or use voice commands to call for help in the event of an accident. 

To the OP, RAM mount in the steering head is a pretty convenient place IMO.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, squirrelman said:

Can't ya just keep the phone in your backpack or pocket ??  it's a distraction nobody needs.

I wouldn't want to crash on my expensive phone and get glass shards up my keister. 

And, I feel it's safer than using a paper maps, since I ride more places than my neighborhood. But thanks for the helpful suggestion.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, marriedman said:

If you use your phone as a GPS and are touring, they are not a distraction but a nice accessory. Coupled with a Sena, you could listen to music or use voice commands to call for help in the event of an accident. 

To the OP, RAM mount in the steering head is a pretty convenient place IMO.

I've been looking at these. Seen mixed reviews but I think I may go that way. That would be the best spot for me I think. Thx!

• Member Contributer

I recently fitted an 'Oxford' brand usb charger and connected it to a 'Plug n Play' accessory harness that I bought off 'Bikesparks' here in the UK and keep the iPhone under the seat and listen to my 'Nuforce' earphones via bluetooth, seems fine so far but I would prefer to have a 'map' to look  at, I think that for me personally it is too low having it mounted on the handlebars and can end up looking cluttered

I bought the steering head version, but haven't installed it yet on my 97.  Highly recommend.  I had one from my 2001 VFR800 and loved having it at that location.

• Member Contributer
On 10/27/2018 at 8:46 PM, YYZ said:

This is what I've been using.

Interesting. Im going to look into that. Thanks.

And, give me a shout if you have any decent rides around here.

• Member Contributer
On 10/29/2018 at 6:52 PM, YYZ said:

We have the some of the best riding here in the mountains. I ride there every chance I get. I see your from CA. I lived there as well. Ever ride Ortega hwy?

I have driven it in a car.

I lived in Northern California (Bay Area and above)so most of my riding was up there. I did many many tens of thousands of miles on all the northern backroads and mountain passes.

Didn't do a lot of riding in Socal.

I am looking forward to making it to the mountains here. Frankly, here around Chapel Hill, it kinda sucks! Pretty rare to see a turn of any kind! 

Gonna plan to make it to the hills in spring for sure. If not sooner!

The bike needs a few things before. Getting new tires and getting it setup a little better this winter.

Archived