Coolant under bike on a hot day

RobF

• Member Contributer

This past summer I replaced the coolant in my 2005 VFR. I think I used premixed Engine Ice, FWIW. When I did the flush/replace, I ran the engine for awhile as a "burping" exercise and then topped off the coolant per the raised "upper" guideline on the reservoir. Several months later, on a hot August day, I rode the bike for several hours until I reached my hotel. After checking in, I noticed a puddle under the bike. I couldn't find any drip-drip evidence of a leak and assumed the non-oily, watery liquid was coolant that had been blown out of the radiator breather tube. To my credit, I think this was an accurate read of the situation. To my shame, I totally forgot about the incident until last night when I pulled the left side panel (lower cowl) for an unrelated project and noticed that my coolant level was low. (Oops)

My questions to the hive mind are:

1. Why did the VFR expel coolant at the end of a long ride on a hot day?

2. Is this a symptom of something unwell in my cooling system that requires my attention?

suggest you try replacing radiator cap as it may not be holding pressure. fill overflow bottle to LOW mark only to leave space for coolant expansion.

Archived