Flip front pads to extend pad life?

• Member Contributer

I bought new front pads and when I went to install them I noticed the pads opposite the piston side were twice as thick as piston side. So I flip the pads from left caliper to right caliper. I have had them this way for about 200 miles and have seen no adverse affects. Any reason not to do this? I like to save a buck but not at the risk of unseen/unknown adverse results. Thanks.

Sounds like your calipers are not floating on the pins.    Unevenly worn pads would indicate that you do not have full braking capability.

The caliper should slide smoothly on pins (14) and (15) so that the pads stay centered over the rotor and pressure is applied evenly to both pads (not just the piston side).   Pull the caliper off the carrier, clean or replace the pins as necessary, pack with high-temp grease and reassemble.  Consult service manual.

image.png.7a1d980f7e52c43bbee5ca30642cffc0.png

• Member Contributer

+1 what Lee said

I'd use "red rubber grease" as I've see the rubber sleeves expand/swell after using mineral oil based grease. YMMV

• Member Contributer

You guys got me worried. I checked the pins slid smooth no binding. They have all ways worn like this. I think it is a result of the piston being on one side. other brakes I've had with opposing pistons wore even on both pads. ?? Normal??

No, not normal.   Brakes are all about converting kinetic energy to heat.   The fact that each caliper only has one pad worn would indicate you're generating only half the heat you should (probably less than that in reality).  The fact that only the piston side is worn means your caliper is not floating properly.  You do not have full braking capacity. 

While the calipers may well float in your hand or mounted while you check them.   They are most likely binding while under load.   This could be due to worn pins, worn bush surfaces in the carrier or caliper, corrosion, lack of lubrication, or something I can't think of. 

With the caliper/carrier combination dismounted you should ensure that there is no movement permitted other than axial to the pins.  (You should not be able to twist, flex, rotate, cant or cock the caliper to the carrier at all.)  It should only slide on the pins, no other movement permitted.

Pins should be of a constant diameter over the full length of the bearing surface (measure with a micrometer).  I suspect once you get it apart you'll find waisted or notched or bent (not parallel) pins about 1/3 the way up their length and some corrosion.   If it was me I would order 14, 15, 16, & 17 to start with.   You might find you'll need the caliper and the carrier too; hopefully not.   You've got an old bike and sometimes things wear out.... especially if they haven't had proper care over their life.   Pins and boots should be cleaned and lubed with every pad change. (Lee's rule, not Mother Honda.  But I ride in all weather and over the course of a set of pads I'll find a significant amount of grease has washed out of the boots)

• Member Contributer

Well Crap!! Looks like I've got an appointment with my calipers and Vernier calipers this weekend. Thanks Lee would never have thought of that.

You know there is also the possibility that your master cylinder is not releasing or the pistons are not retracting.   But I'm going to stick with the pins not floating.  I think you would feel your brakes dragging in the other two situations.   Does the wheel spin freely when the brakes are not applied?

• Member Contributer

After buying my VF, I checked her over. Including the brake calipers.

"Interesting!!!"

IMAG3734.jpg

rear

IMAG3743.jpg

Front right:

IMAG3742.jpg

Puzzled why 1 out of 3 would look ok....

Bought new OEM and greased her up....

IMAG3735.jpg

Dutchy has shown bits from an earlier generation of bikes and brakes with parts I recognise from my 1984 CBX750FE. Mine haven't got that bad!

A VFR800FiY front caliper looks like this when it is "all greased up and ready to go".

DSC05898.thumb.JPG.ffc126eb54860f482516b4f35eaf3c7b.JPG

That is red rubber grease, with one pin on the RHS greased and the socket for the other at top centre.

When the caliper is installed and before pumping the pistons back out you should be able to move the caliper on its pins just by hand - no lever needed.

2 hours ago, steve27bha said:

A VFR800FiY front caliper looks like this when it is "all greased up and ready to go".

DSC05898.thumb.JPG.ffc126eb54860f482516b4f35eaf3c7b.JPG

I've never seen pistons lubed with grease.   I'm interested in understanding your reason for doing this.

• Member Contributer

+1 as to why?

I apply a very thin layer of ceramic grease on top of the pistons (contact with back of pads), but that is all.

The grease goes into the gap between piston and bore and helps prevent grunge getting to the seals. Also helps prevent corrosion of the pistons themselves. Those there are 30,000 miles 10 month p.a. use in Scotland and as clean as a whistle underneath the grease, after annual fettles.

It's difficult to apply a thinner coating due to the consistency of the grease. VFR750 has it right - wipe excess.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/10/2018 at 10:01 PM, Lee 2002 said:

I will be interested to hear what you find.   Hopefully you find a definitive, easily fixed defect.   

Took a while for me to get into the brakes again I've been to 2 weddings and a funeral over the last few months. Found the issue. Thanks to Lee having me go back and inspect the pins.  The grease on the pins was the consistency of Play doh. I can't believe they could move at all with that stuff on there. Luckily no wear or damage to pins or bores on calipers. When I originally checked them I could move the calipers on the pins but after cleaning the old pasty grease off and lubing the pins they slide like butter now.   Shame on me for never cleaning and lubing these before now looks to be original factory grease. I can't wait to ride it yo see if I can tell a difference. Have a few more maintenance items to complete before "The spring Memorial Ride" in May.    

On 10/8/2018 at 9:43 PM, Lee 2002 said:

Pins and boots should be cleaned and lubed with every pad change. (Lee's rule, not Mother Honda.  But I ride in all weather and over the course of a set of pads I'll find a significant amount of grease has washed out of the boots)

I will apply "Lee's rule" from now on when changing my brakes.  Thanks again Lee.    

Archived