How to strap down bike in pickup?

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer

Hey all, I’m buying another bike tomorrow and I’ve rented a pickup truck to get it. What’s the best way to strap it down in the back? What kind of straps do I need?  Can’t wait to give my VFR a garage mate - LOL

To that I would add, get a step stool and put it behind the tailgate. When loading step up into the bed and load the bike in one push.

If you can use a gutter or berm or whatever to reduce the height difference between ground and tailgate, do it.

Going uphill 12" is easier than 18" or more.

I prefer the ratcheting tie downs, I feel they are more secure. Just don't compress the forks all the way, maybe half way ish or a bit less.

So you need a ramp and tied downs and a helper.

Don't roll off the ramps edge. 😀

Usually if my motorcycle is strapped down, it's broken down.   But I had occasion to bring my wife and young daughters to a riding vacation with my brother in Texas many years ago.  They were to hang with sister-in-law and cousins while we rode the Three Sisters.   

I catch a lot of grief every time I post this photo (some feel it is overkill), but I can tell you I drove the entire trip down and back how I wanted.  I took on ramps, off ramps, corners and turns how I wanted and that bike didn't move half an inch the whole trip.  I never once drove like there was a motorcycle in the back of my truck.  (I was my normal guy-in-an-old-truck jerk self)  Triangulation is your friend, with no one strap (or component) needing to support much load.  And blocking or chocking the tires is a huge advantage and takes just a few moments with a hand saw and some wood screws.

Not sure what points are available with a gen 8, but you get the idea.

HPIM0629.JPG

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

Usually if my motorcycle is strapped down, it's broken down.   But I had occasion to bring my wife and young daughters to a riding vacation with my brother in Texas many years ago.  They were to hang with sister-in-law and cousins while we rode the Three Sisters.   

I catch a lot of grief every time I post this photo (some feel it is overkill), but I can tell you I drove the entire trip down and back how I wanted.  I took on ramps, off ramps, corners and turns how I wanted and that bike didn't move half an inch the whole trip.  I never once drove like there was a motorcycle in the back of my truck.  (I was my normal guy-in-an-old-truck jerk self)  Triangulation is your friend, with no one strap (or component) needing to support much load.  And blocking or chocking the tires is a huge advantage and takes just a few moments with a hand saw and some wood screws.

Not sure what points are available with a gen 8, but you get the idea.

HPIM0629.JPG

LOL - great pic!  That''s prolly what mine will end up looking like too 😀

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

To that I would add, get a step stool and put it behind the tailgate. When loading step up into the bed and load the bike in one push.

If you can use a gutter or berm or whatever to reduce the height difference between ground and tailgate, do it.

Going uphill 12" is easier than 18" or more.

I prefer the ratcheting tie downs, I feel they are more secure. Just don't compress the forks all the way, maybe half way ish or a bit less.

So you need a ramp and tied downs and a helper.

Don't roll off the ramps edge. 😀

Thanks for the tips!

• Member Contributer

Success!!!   Picked up this mint condition 2010 Honda Elite 110 with only 914 miles on it (4 of them were from my test ride)!   It was manufactured in 12/09 and the seller bought it new in July 2010 with 2 miles from Florida Motorsports in Naples, FL.  He usually lives up north and used the scooter only while staying in his gulf front condo in Naples to take his wife to restaurants, shopping, etc.  Otherwise it was kept in the building’s underground garage - this scooter has led the good life!  LOL.  Dealer maintained with all books and records and both keys - got it for $1,200.  Only mod is a trickle charger attachment and the seller threw in the charger for free.  This will make a great companion for my VFR 😀

31BBB5AA-8322-4B31-8DD9-045431263850.jpeg

43D350E1-E584-470E-B605-85800841C861.jpeg

852F77E9-72B4-458B-9011-AC661BACE523.jpeg

0F65D4E3-8A96-4D88-A7E1-EE4F8CC89869.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Kerist!  You could have used scotch tape!

Just busting them a bit on ya GG. As in the other threads elsewhere about trailering and tie downs, I seem to be the only one who uses duck tape to tape the tied straps to prevent them from loosening, or flapping around and damaging paint.  Not much of a concern if you are just transporting the bike a fw miles at city speeds, but if you are going to be doing a longer trip, at highway speeds, you want to tape down any loose strapping. Straps flapping around can loosen and the security of the bike fails as well as possible damage to the pain on the bike and truck.  My opinion.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 34468Randy said:

Kerist!  You could have used scotch tape!

Just busting them a bit on ya GG. As in the other threads elsewhere about trailering and tie downs, I seem to be the only one who uses duck tape to tape the tied straps to prevent them from loosening, or flapping around and damaging paint.  Not much of a concern if you are just transporting the bike a fw miles at city speeds, but if you are going to be doing a longer trip, at highway speeds, you want to tape down any loose strapping. Straps flapping around can loosen and the security of the bike fails as well as possible damage to the pain on the bike and truck.  My opinion.

LOL - thanks Randy!  Thanks to the vids and everyone’s tips it went very smoothly - I had to go from Orlando to Naples and back so it was not exactly a short trip.  I used 4 ratchet straps I bought at UHaul and they worked great - no loose straps to worry about.  I did stop when I saw the white tag on the left rear strap flapping in the wind - was afraid it might scratch the paint so I just ripped it off.  Every time I stopped for fuel or food I would double check the straps - it was locked down nice and snug.

I also used a 7’ collapsible ramp that I bought from my Honda dealer.  The Honda Elite only weighs 256 pounds wet but I think it was great experience for if/when I should ever need to move my 500+ pound VFR.  When I got home I used the hill trick and was able to easily unload it all by myself.

• Member Contributer

Nice video Greg. That's a great little shopping trolley to compliment your Viffer, 100mpg wow, that really is run on the smell of an oily rag stats. Can't agree with it being a "Chick magnet":biggrin:.

Enjoy your ride No Mono's and keep away from large pot holes.

Cheers. :wheel:

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Grum said:

Nice video Greg. That's a great little shopping trolley to compliment your Viffer, 100mpg wow, that really is run on the smell of an oily rag stats. Can't agree with it being a "Chick magnet":biggrin:.

Enjoy your ride No Mono's and keep away from large pot holes.

Cheers. :wheel:

LOL thanks!  The funny thing is Honda used to actually market their scooters as chick magnets 😀  Check out this pic from a 1985 Australian brochure for the 1st generation Lead 80 (my Elite 110 is the 4th gen Lead overseas). Link to full 4 page Australian brochure:  http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Brochures/NH80Australia.pdf

IMG_1721.thumb.PNG.b5c1275c4855038a7a4f6e0e50694879.PNG

• Member Contributer

Greg, you will notice, the girl is totally crapped off with the gutless, blue, skateboard on steroids she owns, and is absolutely blown away by the magnificent VFR800 her fun loving tennis coach has just purchased and pointing to. :laughing6-hehe:

:wheel:

• Member Contributer

LOL - good point Grum - back in 1985 VFRs were the bomb.  In this photo the girl is probably waving to a dude on another VFR 😀

401DAD31-7223-4075-86DB-6841F8DD6D65.thumb.jpeg.fe951fce93d2dd78fa5ee8bd16d72e4c.jpeg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Grum said:

Greg, you will notice, the girl is totally crapped off with the gutless, blue, skateboard on steroids she owns, and is absolutely blown away by the magnificent VFR800 her fun loving tennis coach has just purchased and pointing to. :laughing6-hehe:

:wheel:

I think he is saying something like "see that new VFR?  It's parked right outside the door of my love nest.  Let's go inside and you can see the rest of my bike collection . . . "  :wub::tongue:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I took my VFR out for an afternoon blast today for only the second time since I got my scooter and it felt like I was riding an angry white rhino! 😀  I had gotten so used to being able to just pin the throttle back 100% on the scooter that I had to quickly relearn to control my right wrist - LOL.  It’s kind of crazy how powerful the VFR is - like riding a rocket ship in comparison.

• Member Contributer

A jetpack on your back could be useful for passing. Otherwise, enjoy the view of the bumper in front of you. Forever. :tongue:

Seriously, enjoy your new machine. And watch out for the mob of chicks.

Archived