High sight glass oil

andy

On the last two oil changes I noticed a higher oil level than when I changed it last ( every 3k Miles).  I let the old oil drain and changed the filter, then carefully measured the correct amount.   It’s been about 2 weeks (short trips totalling about 300 Miles) and the oil level seems higher than when I checked the day after the change.

• Member Contributer

oil level can only rise by one of 2 causes first is mentioned above but the oil would look milky?

2nd is by being diluted by fuel and cause could be from a few different things!

My guess is that the oil level is still same as when you changed and shows difference due to heat, different slope of drive/pavement or you didn't wait for oil to drain after running and check?

• Member Contributer

If the oil is between the 2 lines in the sight glass, you have no reason to be conserned. 

• Member Contributer

Don't worry about it.  It's common to change the oil, refill it, run it, check the level, and then have it show a higher level after your first ride.  I always try to fill it on the low side to start with. 

• Member Contributer

Yep, agree with swimmer. Have similar issues with the 800. Suspect it's all down to the amount of oil that may be retained in the oil cooler. I also start off with an oil change slightly on the low side, go for some riding and recheck it at the same location (level ground), top up as necessary, then no need to adjust till next oil change.

If your bike is running well and not blowing smoke/burning oil, or losing coolant into your oil etc. You've nothing to worry about.

Cheers. :beer:

Archived