Ironbutt on my 2014 VFR 800

Sparkie

I took my 2014 VFR800 on my first ironbutt ride last Saturday.  I rode from Cleveland, Ohio to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and back.  I did 1054.3 miles between 7:30 am and midnight.  The highlight of the ride was crossing the Mackinac bridge twice.  The vfr is just a great bike.  

0929181444b.jpg

My Iron Butt Rally hero: Kurt Worden riding a Kawasaki EX250 entered in the "Hopeless" class, finishing 21st overall in 2017.

9,690 miles in 11 days.

(Photo from the finish line of the 2017 Iron Butt Rally)

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-07%20at%2011.47.

3 hours ago, fink said:

Would love to have the time to be able to do something like that. 

You can do this.  It only takes 1 day.   The paperwork is more difficult than the ride.  🙂

10 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Does your Corbin fit with the rear seat cowl installed?

Also, you might like this:

The corbin is a 1 piece seat, can't use the cowl with it.  If you want to keep the cowl, best option is to send the stock front seat to seargent and have them rebuild it.

• Member Contributer
On 10/2/2018 at 6:59 AM, Sparkie said:

The stock seat is truly a medieval torture device.

I beg to differ! I quite enjoyed my Iron Butt Assn SS 1k back in October. Ran up to Grand Rapids Michigan from just north of Atlanta. The "official" part of the ride started at my cousin's in Jacksboro, TN and ended in Elizabethtown, KY. About 36 hours for the entire trip (from home and back home) 1,600+ mile trip and no issues with the stock seat.

Iron Butt 2017 Rest Stop.jpg

• Member Contributer

I wish I could do an Iron Butt. The 1,000 mi in 24 hrs. variety. I've tried a couple of times but I need too many rest stops. The most I've done is 909 mi in a day, Minneapolis to Denver. I was riding wing man and he wanted to see the Rockies during the day so we stopped. No Cigar.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I wish I could do an Iron Butt. The 1,000 mi in 24 hrs. variety. I've tried a couple of times but I need too many rest stops. The most I've done is 909 mi in a day, Minneapolis to Denver. I was riding wing man and he wanted to see the Rockies during the day so we stopped. No Cigar.

I've ridden it three times, once on each bike I've owned recently (SV650, 5h Gen VFR, and 8th Gen VFR). The key, I have found is to plan stops every 100 miles BEFORE you get tired. Once you're tired it takes longer to rest.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

• Member Contributer
On 10/1/2018 at 4:50 PM, Sparkie said:

I took my 2014 VFR800 on my first ironbutt ride last Saturday.  I rode from Cleveland, Ohio to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and back.  I did 1054.3 miles between 7:30 am and midnight.  The highlight of the ride was crossing the Mackinac bridge twice.  The vfr is just a great bike.  

0929181444b.jpg

How much did you exceed the "suggested speeds"?  I think it would be fun and the stock seat doesn't bother me at all but doing the numbers posted on those strange signs seems impractical.  Just curious.     

On 10/2/2018 at 6:59 AM, Sparkie said:

The stock seat is truly a medieval torture device.

May be my 63 yr old arse but I find the gen 8 seat one of the best stock seats I've ever ridden on.  Longest seat time to date 11 hrs and no pain in arse or other places. Disclosure, I do take 1 Aleve prior to a 6+ hr day in the saddle.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:50 PM, Sparkie said:

0929181444b.jpg

Congrats--fine machine for the task.

I kept it under 150mph the whole time.  😉 I really didn't go all that fast, 10 mph or so over the limit most If the time.  If you get caught going more than 20 over its a much harsher ticket.  The speed limit is 75 most of the way and the traffic was light.  My bike seems to like cruising at 88 mph best.  You don't need to go very fast, you need to limit your stops and keep riding.  If you stop every time you feel like stopping you won't be able to cover the miles.  If you just go go go, the miles fly by.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Sparkie said:

I kept it under 150mph the whole time.  😉 I really didn't go all that fast, 10 mph or so over the limit most If the time.  If you get caught going more than 20 over its a much harsher ticket.  The speed limit is 75 most of the way and the traffic was light.  My bike seems to like cruising at 88 mph best.  You don't need to go very fast, you need to limit your stops and keep riding.  If you stop every time you feel like stopping you won't be able to cover the miles.  If you just go go go, the miles fly by.

Thanks.  Same applies in cage driving I've noticed.  It's very hard to make up time with speed.  However, for some reason, I make better time on a motorcycle.  I don't ride on busy roadways but rather backroads that get me to the same destination so I guess it's not having to deal with passing or slowing for cages, trucks, and the driving stupidity that goes with them ; )

• Member Contributer
On 10/1/2018 at 8:01 PM, GreginDenver said:

My Iron Butt Rally hero: Kurt Worden riding a Kawasaki EX250 entered in the "Hopeless" class, finishing 21st overall in 2017.

9,690 miles in 11 days.

(Photo from the finish line of the 2017 Iron Butt Rally)

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-07%20at%2011.47.

I'm impressed.  I sold my 2006 ex250 to get the 6th gen. I was tired of being blown all over the highway.  Welcome to the Great Plains.  A small frame rider could make this work.  The gas tank has about a 300-mile range.  I found that my shoulders tended to lock up around 200 miles on this bike. 

• 2 months later...

Great job!

2019 is an "odd numbered" year, so I'm looking forward to the coming summer when the Iron Butt Association run their Iron Butt Rally.  I would never try something like this but I really enjoy tracking the action day-to-day to see how it goes.

We mere mortals, who stand in awe of these Moto-gods, get to observe them in their natural habitat - at the IBR start/finish and/or the intermediate checkpoints.

Truly inspiring.

• Member Contributer

That Corbin tail bag is one of two best tools with my VFR.  It can hold a lot of stuff.  The other best tools are my Pitt Bull front and rear stands.  Not stopping often on a motorcycle is dangerous and risky IMHO. 

Archived