Headlight upgrade

bikemonkey

Question

As it winter gets closer I'm looking to get my headlights brighter as the back roads I am often riding down are not streetlit at all!

Any common bulb swaps or recommendations of certain bulbs? 

12 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I've replaced the H-4 bulbs in my fifth gen for compatable LED lights and the difference is profound. It makes me and the machine much more conspicuous. Coming and going. Running on highbeems turns night into day. There are pics of the install in my gallery. It's quite and easy install except for the removal of the front cowl. That's step-heavy but is well documented in the Factory Service Manual.

I've neven been flashed by oncoming vehicles due to the effect of my headlights.

I'm highly recommending them for everyone who wants better forward vision and conspicuosity.

They also reduce the load on the charging system,  which can increase the load on the regulator/rectifier, which in stock form on fifth gens is weak to start with. I added an aluminium plate (heat sink), the same size as the r/r, and made by a fellow VFRD member, between the r/r and the rear sub-frame to help with heat. It's about 3/8" thick with holes drilled to accommodate the mounting screws for the r/r. My r/r has been upgraded as well as an added VFRness (see wiremybike dot com). I plan to have my stator rewound to complete my  "bulletproofing" of the charging system.

So far, no electrical issues on this 2001 current rider with 65,000 miles on her. [bang on head here (knock on wood)].

Any words of wisdom what can be done on a gen4 to upgrade to H4 LED's white 6000k an have them pulse?  I've all ready upgraded to better H4's an added the pulse of head lights many years ago its bullet proof many miles passed test of time.  Want upgraded look of headlight shine an lesson electrical load on system an not loose headlight pulse.  I don't ride at night anymore so night vision via certain bulbs or gadgets not needed. Want stay OEM with bulb h4 mount an space behind an in fairing I know will be a issue with going LED an keep the pulseing headlight's

Just getting a VRF800, see my hello post, but first thing I am gonna upgrade is to LED lights. I was thinking since they have separate low and high beam bulbs i might put a Yellow LED for the lows and white for the highs. do the lows turn off when the highs are on?

• Member Contributer

Not normally, no, though the North American models may be different to the European ones.

1 hour ago, skant153 said:

Stock doesn't have separate bulbs for low and high. If your led ones do, you'll have to ask the manufacturer or look at the schematic

07 6th gen does

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, skant153 said:

Stock doesn't have separate bulbs for low and high. If your led ones do, you'll have to ask the manufacturer or look at the schematic

The 6th gen have 4 headlights.

On 12/25/2018 at 5:29 PM, MaxSwell said:

I've replaced the H-4 bulbs in my fifth gen for compatable LED lights and the difference is profound. It makes me and the machine much more conspicuous. Coming and going. Running on highbeems turns night into day. There are pics of the install in my gallery. It's quite and easy install except for the removal of the front cowl. That's step-heavy but is well documented in the Factory Service Manual.

I've neven been flashed by oncoming vehicles due to the effect of my headlights.

I'm highly recommending them for everyone who wants better forward vision and conspicuosity.

They also reduce the load on the charging system,  which can increase the load on the regulator/rectifier, which in stock form on fifth gens is weak to start with. I added an aluminium plate (heat sink), the same size as the r/r, and made by a fellow VFRD member, between the r/r and the rear sub-frame to help with heat. It's about 3/8" thick with holes drilled to accommodate the mounting screws for the r/r. My r/r has been upgraded as well as an added VFRness (see wiremybike dot com). I plan to have my stator rewound to complete my  "bulletproofing" of the charging system.

So far, no electrical issues on this 2001 current rider with 65,000 miles on her. [bang on head here (knock on wood)].

So you're happy with the ones you chose? Do you recall what they were? There's a lot of variation in quality in LED headlights...

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

The 6th gen have 4 headlights.

So you're happy with the ones you chose? Do you recall what they were? There's a lot of variation in quality in LED headlights...

I have bought from these folks twice several years ago. My package has check-marked the 4HL-H4 option. I  cannot find that exact bulb on the website now. When I bought them I called them and they made a correct recommendation.

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/

I belive mine were CREE brand. There seems to have been advances in the technology since then, so my information would be out of date.

Good luck.

Archived