Hello from Oxfordshire UK

bikemonkey

Hi all,

I've owned my NC30 for a few years now and am active on 400Greybike forum for that, but I only got my third gen 750 about a year ago.

Looking to learn a few things and hopefully contribute!

I'm an aircraft engineer by trade, so know my way around a set of spanners!

I don't have a picture of the 750 as it's a disgraceful hound, I do have one of the NC30 trackbike below which is in a much better state.

20180807_204909.thumb.jpg.62634ae60bb6fa3817234db82d9bcec6.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD, mate!  There are still some RC36 owners active on this forum, including a few restoration threads.  

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum. Great choice of bikes.

I had a 3rd gen when I worked in the UK back in 2015. Really liked it a lot. Based out of Falmouth in Cornwall meant I could ride it in the winter also. Put 6K miles on it in 8 months riding weekends only. Had to sell it when I shipped out, but I've recently bought a 1990 to back up my 4th gen as its getting up there mileage wise.

Lots of good info here when you start to "unhound it" :+)

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the Channel :beer:

We like pictures of any hound, no matter the breed or condition!

G'day mate. Welcome to the VFR loony bin.

The 3rd gen is a gem once everything's in order. Riding buddies of mine will attest to it. They certainly don't get left behind even by the most modern of two-wheeled technology. It's as sporty as it is practical and comfortable for touring if you're not over 6 foot like someone I know...

I've had to chase a few across the Sierras of Spain!

Once you've spruced her up we'll be looking forward to the proof (pictures).

You can download the service manual on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I haven't touched the bike for a while other than putting it away in my garage as the MOT has ran out and I'm too busy to sort it....

Hopefully next week I should get round to looking at it as I think the clutch slave is leaking. I might even take a picture of the horrible beast!

I had also been living in Oxfordshire for two years until recently. Could have been fun assisting you in bringing her back to her former glory as a hobby/distraction in my spare time.

Lots of knowledge to draw on on this forum...

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, bikemonkey said:

I'm in Benson, a stones throw from the H cafe!

I don't think I'll ever be bringing it back to its former glory, too far gone really. Had too much neglect from previous owners...

Benson?..…..In?

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, but here are some pictures!

NdRMpVj.jpg?1

U1r5UIz.jpg?1

5DnuLIM.jpg?1

T36zAI0.jpg?1

a3PvBrk.jpg?1

LtSDEfe.jpg?1

As you can see, it's very much been neglected. 

Apart from the few bits I've done to it so far it's covered in corrosion and bodges!

I did add a clock I had sat in my parts box that I used to have on the NC30 as the one on the dash no longer works. I also added a voltmeter which also used to be on the NC30, as I know the reputation of the VFR ranges charging systems!

Since I've had it it's had a centre stand put on as the original was rotten, shock linkage replaced as the bearings were dry and corroded, front forks replaced as someone had butchered the seal seats and neither held oil, new front discs as the old ones were warped, rear hub adjuster taken apart and cleaned out, new tyres and heated grips added.

I had wanted to get it back on the road before winter, but it's too late now and I'll leave it until spring as I'm short on cash whilst saving for a house anyway!

Once I do have some money again though, I'm unsure whether I'll sell it on and buy a better example or slowly fix the issues with it. The latter will probably be a lot more costly, especially as the swingarm lock bolt is sezied solid in the frame and corrosion has made everything difficult to take apart.

Welcome here,

I am restoring a 1993 3rd gen that is fortunately in a better condition. I am also a daily driver of a Suzuki Bandit 400 from 1992 so I've searched greybike forums quite often. 

Let see what you can do with this bike 😉

Archived