Jump to content
courtuk

FI light comes on with headlights/brake-stalls

Recommended Posts

Noticed it flickering yesterday before I pulled away but it went out so thought nothing. This morning I start and ride down the road and put my headlights on and the bike stalls.

 

FI is constant no flashing. Bike has power but it seems voltage drops and kills the engine. Using either brake the light comes on dim. Brake and headlight result in engine stall. 

 

Fi LIGHT turns off during pre-ignition and bike is fine without headlight. 

 

I installed a new RR after I heard a bee like buzz from the front. What should I start checking. I have a volt meter and grounds seemed fine a few months ago. Could it be a relay? How can I check those? 

 

Thanks for any help. This forum is invaluable for those of us with older bikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the earth block.

All the earths go to a joining rectangular plug near the RR taped into the main harness.

This needs to be removed and all the earths soldered together with a new earth wire back to the battery.

This will fix your problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VFROZ said:

It's the earth block.

All the earths go to a joining trctangular plug near the RR taped into the main harness.

This needs to be removed and all the earths soldered together with a new earth wire back to the battery.

This will fix your problem.

I think I found two of these last time. I'll have a look and hope things correct! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this problem and looked for all the post but could not find them. My bikes problem started with the FI light flickering and with in 6 months the engine was cutting out. FRVOZ is correct remove the orange plastic ground block on the left side of the bike, remove the covering and solder the grounds together including a larger dedicated wire to the frame ground  which is on the right side of the bike. I also installed dedicated grounds to the frame from the battery, the RR and two grounds from the ECU. I believe Frankenviffer was one of the first to post up on this.

Anyone who owns one of these bikes would be smart to do this mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, maxredline said:

I had this problem and looked for all the post but could not find them. My bikes problem started with the FI light flickering and with in 6 months the engine was cutting out. FRVOZ is correct remove the orange plastic ground block on the left side of the bike, remove the covering and solder the grounds together including a larger dedicated wire to the frame ground  which is on the right side of the bike. I also installed dedicated grounds to the frame from the battery, the RR and two grounds from the ECU. I believe Frankenviffer was one of the first to post up on this.

Anyone who owns one of these bikes would be smart to do this mod.

With the ignition on not running this felt warm to touch. So every wire should be together? Could I use electric wire from a household appliance to ground? Time to practise my soldering skills tonight! 

20181001_174551.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ That's the post thanks Auspanglish!

 

Use a wire made out of the same metal that is slightly larger than the wires going to the ground block 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the VFRness help with this issue? I'm not currently experiencing issues just curious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ganboy70 said:

Will the VFRness help with this issue? I'm not currently experiencing issues just curious.

 

 

VFRness just helps alleviate some issues relating to the stock harness and stock rectifier; it doesn't affect the earthing block directly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.