Headlight question

RC36

Hey,

I've bought a crash damaged, 2012 VFR800 Vtec. The front left headlight lens is badly damaged.

Are the headlights the same from 02 to 2013? I can see the part numbers look to be the same on CMSNL - but nothing specific for the 2012 plate.

On a side note, if anyone in the UK/Europe has one spare, by all means let me know and I'll buy it off you (presuming it fits!)

Thanks

Thanks, already taken that into consideration and only buying from the UK. When you say essentially....is there any differences at all?

• Member Contributer

You can check the part numbers online (cmsnl.com or bike-parts.fr, to name two), but on other models I'm familiar with Honda made two RHS versions (US DOT and non-US) and one LHS version (UK and Australia).  Personally, I always check part numbers!

Ciao,

JZH

Unless I'm bring blind, I can't see a 2012 plate on cmsnl...but all the others seem the same. So I'm gonna take the risk!

• Member Contributer

If there was any difference, it's news to me. They certainly look the same as far as I remember.

Whilst yr at it, why not replace the bulbs with hid or led? The replacement on my 08 worked really well, no significant overspill and they really stood out.

Just a thought.

If I recall rightly, Honda stopped manufacturing the 6th gen prior to 2012. Surely the date you have as a reference is when yours was first registered.

CSMNL is in the Netherlands, is it not? (Sidenote: I believe they sponsor the hilarious and talented, and one of my favourite MotoGP racers, Calvin 'Cal' Crutchlow)... if you were to check for possibly different part reference numbers on https://www.bike-parts-honda.com where I've noticed they categorize microfiche according to countries, you could rule out any suspicion of left or right deflection... or even easier, write them an email asking before committing!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

If I recall rightly, Honda stopped manufacturing the 6th gen prior to 2012. Surely the date you have as a reference is when yours was first registered.

The 6th Gen, as it's known here, was replaced in 2014 by the 8th Gen in the UK.

Whether the 2012/2013 models were actually manufactured in those years or just older stock registered in those years is another question and one to which I do not know the answer. But to the best of my knowledge, the only differences after 2006 was cosmetic/colour.

I'm guessing they were, only thing I've noticed is that my frame and front forks are black. Most I've seen (well, all...actually) have silver frames and front forks. Not that it's a huge difference. Quick Googlings look like that might have changed over for the 2009+ bikes?

Skids makes a good point in that the several important technical changes introduced in 2006 might be a point to take into account. There may have been a change in connectors or such.

This still does not address the issue of right or left headlight deflection.

Black chassis and fork parts, as Skids already clarified, is merely an aesthetic matter.

The 6th Gen, as it's known here, was replaced in 2014 by the 8th Gen in the UK.

Whether the 2012/2013 models were actually manufactured in those years or just older stock registered in those years is another question and one to which I do not know the answer. But to the best of my knowledge, the only differences after 2006 was cosmetic/colour.

I know. Never said it was anything other than that.

I've got a UK headlight from a 2006. Time will tell...I'll make it work 🙂

Archived