Installed a lithium battery - cut 5.7 pounds

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer
I’m happy to report that the Albinogator is back up and running with a fresh lithium battery.   The new battery cuts 5.7 pounds (7.9 old minus 2.2 new) and the bike feels noticeably more flickable/tossable IMO - but it could just be pyschological 😀
Between the exhaust, tail tidy, and battery, I’ve now cut 13.7 pounds off the bike.

Here’s a link to the battery I got at Revzilla - model LFX18A1-BS12.  My local Honda dealer matched and beat Revzilla’s price by a dollar:

Here’s a vid I made, enjoy!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

"feels noticeably more flickable/tossable" It's all in your head, as you state. This is why butt dynos are worthless.

Why you would spend money on that battery if yours was in good shape is kinda beyond me. 

The more I read your posts I think you'd have been happier on a CBR, personally.

More than likey as the VFR is..  being it's kinda porky, it is  psychological .  But weight loss, is weight loss,  so good on you.  I'll be doing the same thing when the time comes, as I also installed a lithium battery in the 929,   boy are they light,  just make sure you get a companion charger.

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, thtanner said:

"feels noticeably more flickable/tossable" It's all in your head, as you state. This is why butt dynos are worthless.

Why you would spend money on that battery if yours was in good shape is kinda beyond me. 

The more I read your posts I think you'd have been happier on a CBR, personally.

OEM battery was dead.  Thanks for reading my posts 😀

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, RVFR said:

More than likey as the VFR is..  being it's kinda porky, it is  psychological .  But weight loss, is weight loss,  so good on you.  I'll be doing the same thing when the time comes, as I also installed a lithium battery in the 929,   boy are they light,  just make sure you get a companion charger.

If you get one RVFR please report back if you notice the difference.  I could almost swear I felt a difference - it’s a reduction of over one percent right under your butt.  When I started riding last night I wasn’t thinking at all about the new battery and I said to myself, “damn, the bike is really handling great tonight!”.  Then I remembered the new battery and wondered if it was attributable to dropping the 5.7 pounds.

• Member Contributer

Do a dump before going out could be few more kilo's!!

I have had a Lifepo battery for a few months but as a weight saver it is minimal possibly junking the OEM exhaust could be?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, manoil said:

Do a dump before going out could be few more kilo's!!

I have had a Lifepo battery for a few months but as a weight saver it is minimal possibly junking the OEM exhaust could be?

LOL - it wouldn’t surprise me if jockeys and MotoGP riders take a dump before they race 😀  The Delk exhaust cut just over 7 pounds, so the lithium battery cutting 5.7 pounds was almost as good at saving weight.

For those who say a 5.7 pound weight reduction can’t be felt, I’m curious as to how many pounds must be cut in your opinion before it becomes noticeable?  

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, fink said:

It’s all about weight distribution in comparison to height ie centre of gravity. 

If if you want an instant difference put on lighter wheels. 

How many pounds/ounces must be cut from the wheels before average Joe rider will feel the difference?

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Medical science determines 15% as discernible via gross human sensory systems.

That would equate to a loss of about 79 pounds in the case of our 8th gens (529 x 0.15).  Are you sure “medical science” didn’t make a “gross human” mistake and get their decimal point off? 😀  A 1.5% reduction would seem to be a much better estimate of what’s discernible.  That would equate to 7.9 pounds in the case of our 8th gens. (529 x 0.015)

That would equate to a loss of about 79 pounds in the case of our 8th gens (529 x 0.15).  Are you sure “medical science” didn’t make a “gross human” mistake and get their decimal point off?   A 1.5% reduction would seem to be a much better estimate of what’s discernible.  That would equate to 7.9 pounds in the case of our 8th gens. (529 x 0.015)    

Why would 1.5% seem a better estimate? Because it suits your claim?  The truth is my statement was grossly gross. The concept of discernible difference via human sensory systems is much more complex.

Weber's law (1800s) would place it (the Just Noticeable Difference or JND) at 10% and considers this ratio a constant but this does not account for later data with more advanced models, technology and resultant data in which there is a positive augmenting ratio between the base or background size or intensity of the magnitude and the JND.

Thus, regarding ability to detect differences in weight, the heavier the baseline object, the larger the increment required for detection by humans. Hence my placing the situation we are discussing at around 15%. Furthermore, the object in question, a >200 Kg motorcycle, in your model is in motion, so other physical forces are in play.

Psychology would add that training reduces the JND. Thus a relevant example would be professional motorcycle racers such as in MotoGP, World Superbike or Motocross, whereby such professionals would be able to detect a considerably smaller increment or reduction, the latter being the case at hand. Psychology also shows the same person on different days or in different moods or states, for example drunk, stressed or simply being in a bad mood, will have varying degrees of sensitivity.

If we take your suggested 1.5%, then you are possibly a superhuman; holding a 100g testicle in one hand and a 101.5g one in the other and, eyes closed, tell me which is the heaviest.

As the weight increases id venture to say its an exponential difference. A large drop in weight is required at high mass to notice a significant difference. A small drop is more noticeable on a lighter bike. 

If you were looking for a light bike a CBR or a CB1000R would probably be more your speed. 

The thing holding me back from going LI is the specific trickle charging rules, the big boom battery explosion, and the weirdo warm up rules for the battery. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

Why would 1.5% seem a better estimate? Because it suits your claim?  

The truth is my statement was grossly gross. The concept of discernible difference via human sensory systems is much more complex.

Weber's law (1800s) would place it (the Just Noticeable Difference or JND) at 10% and considers this ratio a constant but this does not account for later data with more advanced models, technology and resultant data in which there is a positive augmenting ratio between the base or background size or intensity of the magnitude and the JND.

Thus, regarding ability to detect differences in weight, the heavier the baseline object, the larger the increment required for detection by humans. Hence my placing the situation we are discussing at around 15%. Furthermore, the object in question, a >200 Kg motorcycle, in your model is in motion so other physical forces are in play.

Psychology would add that training reduces the JND. Thus a relevant example would be professional motorcycle racers such as in MotoGP, World Superbike or Motocross, whereby such professionals would be able to detect a considerably smaller increment or reduction, the latter being the case at hand. Psychology also shows the same person on different days or in different moods or states, for example drunk, stressed or simply being in a bad mood, will have varying degrees of sensitivity.

If we take your suggested 1.5%, then you are possibly a superhuman; holding a 100g testicle in one hand and a 101.5g one in the other and, eyes closed, tell me which is the heaviest.

emoji14.png

depositphotos_106659992-stock-illustrati

So NOW you’re saying it’s 10%?  That would still be 52.9 pounds (529 x 0.10) in the case of our 8th gens!  I’m pretty sure if I hid a 25 pound weight on any of our 8th gens that 99% of us would immediately notice the difference.  Perhaps you’re one of those “plus sized” riders where such a change might not be as discernible? 😀

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

...The thing holding me back from going LI is.....the big boom battery explosion.... 

Sounds scary - could you please elaborate?

Just to play devils advocate - I have swapped out for a Li battery in my CRF250l and KTM 350 - due to both bikes carrying the battery so high, I could immediately tell a difference in the woods.  I know it was only about a 6lb change, but it made a huge change in the feel of the bike.  Now, the VFR has a bit more weight - but if I can tell the difference in how she performs with a half a tank of gas Vs. a full tank - I am going to side with Gator and say a difference can be felt.    I would also agree that the level of experience and what you are doing with your bike will also make it a more noticeable change -

oh... and I never swapped out my trickle charger, just keep using the same old one I had previously, only other tip - before you hit the start button, count to 10 after you turn the key on...  Been going on 3 years with my Li and no issues yet

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Killerkingdon22 said:

Just to play devils advocate - I have swapped out for a Li battery in my CRF250l and KTM 350 - due to both bikes carrying the battery so high, I could immediately tell a difference in the woods.  I know it was only about a 6lb change, but it made a huge change in the feel of the bike.  Now, the VFR has a bit more weight - but if I can tell the difference in how she performs with a half a tank of gas Vs. a full tank - I am going to side with Gator and say a difference can be felt.    I would also agree that the level of experience and what you are doing with your bike will also make it a more noticeable change -

oh... and I never swapped out my trickle charger, just keep using the same old one I had previously, only other tip - before you hit the start button, count to 10 after you turn the key on...  Been going on 3 years with my Li and no issues yet

Well according to “medical science” and “Weber’s Law” you must be one of them superhuman professional motocross riders in order to notice the difference - j/k 😀. I’m jealous of your 250L - I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one for awhile.  Thanks for the battery tips.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, keef said:

I put a lithium battery in my 5th gen.

I noticed the difference, too.

Already had lightweight wheels.

How much total weight have you cut?  IIRC the 5th gen weighs 499 wet?

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Killerkingdon22 said:

Thanks... Its sooo great around town.  I literally park it on the side walk at my gym - and will trade you for that drop top camaro any day!

LOL - I do the same with my VFR - gotta keep an eye on her!   I keep thinking of all the shortcuts I could take on my roughly 7 mile commute if I had a CRF - I could probably cut my travel time nearly in half 😀

B2CEDAA4-CAE3-405B-91DE-52F7F47B4279.jpeg

No, I'm not saying it's 10%. Did you not read what I wrote or did you fail to comprehend it?

depositphotos_106659992-stock-illustration-shit-icon-smiling-face-symbol.jpg&key=b11ee8d4b892064a8e43996ddbe1a84e5117499061df6960d82e8a599b30b16f

So NOW you’re saying it’s 10%?  That would still be 52.9 pounds (529 x 0.10) in the case of our 8th gens!  I’m pretty sure if I hid a 25 pound weight on any of our 8th gens that 99% of us would immediately notice the difference.  Perhaps you’re one of those “plus sized” riders where such a change might not be as discernible? 

I think you're image of a smiling pile of faeces is disrespectful and distasteful.

I'm merely discussing scientific opinion on the matter.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Auspanglish said:

No, I'm not saying it's 10%. Did you not read what I wrote or did you fail to comprehend it?

I think you're image of a smiling pile of faeces is disrespectful and distasteful.

I'm merely discussing scientific opinion on the matter.

LMAO 😀

but it could just be pyschological 

You yourself placed this caveat as a disclaimer. This suggests you admit you don't really know with complete certainty. Then you asked the specific question as to what change in weight we would begin to notice. Which reinforces the admission of not really knowing beyond all doubt.

I mentioned what historically recognized scientists would offer as a reasonable figure. I later expounded on this with more precise information from more recent reliable scientific sources. Unjustifiably, you suddenly use immature attempts at ridicule and sarcasm as if needing to defend at all cost your precipitous conviction on a matter you previously self-admitted having doubts about to the extent it was expressed with an escape clause.

What on earth?

I find this method of debate futile and infantile. I'm not lacking in a sense of humour, hence my scrotal anecdote, but I don't get you Gator. You weren't attempting to add humour, rather offense. You seemed to staunchly need to defend a hypothesis, you yourself weren't even sure of, by emotionally-loaded methods. The thread rapidly deteriorated from a potentially interesting debate to a futile and infantile playground tantrum with namecalling and tongue-poking gestures on your behalf. A fickle attempt to laugh me off and call me full of shit.

There's some odd psychological issues going on here. Déjà vu. Guess I didn't learn the moral of the story last time around.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

You yourself placed this caveat as a disclaimer. This suggests you admit you don't really know with complete certainty. Then you asked the specific question as to what change in weight we would begin to notice. Which reinforces the admission of not really knowing beyond all doubt.

I mentioned what historically recognized scientists would offer as a reasonable figure. I later expounded on this with more precise information from more recent reliable scientific sources. Unjustifiably, you suddenly use immature attempts at ridicule and sarcasm as if needing to defend at all cost your precipitous conviction on a matter you previously self-admitted having doubts about to the extent it was expressed with an escape clause.

What on earth?

I find this method of debate futile and infantile. I'm not lacking in a sense of humour, hence my scrotal anecdote, but I don't get you Gator. You weren't attempting to add humour, rather offense. You seemed to staunchly need to defend a hypothesis, you yourself weren't even sure of, by emotionally-loaded methods. The thread rapidly deteriorated from a potentially interesting debate to a futile and infantile playground tantrum with namecalling and tongue-poking gestures on your behalf. A fickle attempt to laugh me off and call me full of shit.

There's some odd psychological issues going on here. Déjà vu. Guess I didn't learn the moral of the story last time around.

LMFAO 😂  I'm taking my VFR for an afternoon ride through the Ocala National Forest now but I expect you to post more pyschobabble for my amusement by the time I get back - additional references to your apparent fetish for holding testicles would be great - LOL

Archived