Installed a lithium battery - cut 5.7 pounds

GatorGreg

This "dude" doesn't feel shame, is not self aware, not even aware really, and can't ride a motorcycle beyond beginners level. He didn't even realize the subtlety of how your post wasn't precisely backing him up. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a large gap between his emotional and his chronological age.

He's definitely happy though, like the village idiot is happy. Ignorance in his case is bliss.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post would be more use if we discussed pros and cons of lithium vs regular batteries. 

My thought is why wouldn’t I want to shed 5 pounds when my old one dies? Is it 50% more expensive, less durable?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tiutis said:

This post would be more use if we discussed pros and cons of lithium vs regular batteries. 

My thought is why wouldn’t I want to shed 5 pounds when my old one dies? Is it 50% more expensive, less durable?

Thanks Tiutis - that was pretty much my thinking as well.  I started this thread because I didn’t recall seeing any other 8th gen owners going to a lithium battery yet in their VFR and I thought they might be interested in learning about the battery I bought.  Most 8th gen owners are presumably still going strong with their OEM battery but unfortunately the heat in central Florida led to the early demise of my OEM battery - the heat just sucks the life out of them.

I had seen that Honda went with a lithium battery in their ‘17+ Fireblade in an effort to save weight so I figured what’s good for the goose must be good for the gander (perhaps the folks who claim it makes no difference should start a letter writing campaign to Honda to advise them it’s all in their head 😀 ).  The cost differential was so small that to me it was almost a no-brainer.  Heres a video by the crazy Anthony guy at Revzilla discussing pros and cons of lithium batteries - you may find it informative.  Obviously he’s trying to sell batteries so take it with a grain of salt.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Tiutis said:

OK, so they are lighter & more powerful & have better cranking amp rating & they do deliver it. They spin the engine harder on startup which helps compression for primary ignition. They will do it harder for longer than the stock battery (unless you bought the really lightweight racing ones). There is no downside, other than they don't like being drained flat, so if not using for months at a time, charge them & then disconnect if your bike has a live dash with the ignition off. The 5th gen has a silly power drain for the clock !

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Tiutis said:

I happen to think that lithium is far more effective in extended release capsule form...

• Member Contributer

Heat kills batteries?

Funny, here it's the cold.

You bought an Li battery, then claimed the bike was more "flickable"

Bulllllllshiitttttttt. 

1. The weight change is too negligible to ascertain that.

2. Your riding ability, as seen by numerous videos of you riding, would tell us that even if there was a difference to be felt, you could not discern it.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Halfrider said:

It appears that this battery (thred), helps unleash the "full factory power to weight ratio"

Fixed it for you 😀 

Combined with the Delk exhaust and NZCam’s tail tidy, the lithium battery has helped me cut a total of 13.7 pounds which gets my VFR to under 5 pounds per horsepower!

Before mods:  529/104= 5.09 pounds per hp

After mods::  515.3/104 = 4.95 lbs per hp

And if I can believe the dyno chart on Delk’s website, the mini carbon exhaust adds 2.97 hp, taking my VFR down to 4.82 pounds per hp (515.3/107)

Here’s an interesting list of the best power to weight ratios for cars under certain dollar amounts (expressed as pounds per hp), very few cars for under $100,000 get into the fives and none get into the fours - it would take a much more expensive exotic (as seen in the second list) to get into the fours (or twos!):

https:/www.autoblog.com/amp/2014/07/02/best-car-power-to-weight-ratios-feature/

https://www./jalopnik.com/the-ten-production-cars-with-the-craziest-power-to-weig-1641624397/amp

• Member Contributer

You'd be way better off focusing your efforts on skill, not weight loss 😉 Such a waste of time discussing when the person riding can't even put the changes to good use.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Halfrider said:

It appears that this battery (thred), helps unleash the "full factory power"

Unfortunately, I was not successful in finding that thread (it may have been deleted entirely, which would be a shame).  I wanted to find that guy's cat emoji and make it Greg's avatar--ha ha ha.  (Hacking Invision forums is one of my least well known IT skills.)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JZH said:

Unfortunately, I was not successful in finding that thread (it may have been deleted entirely, which would be a shame).  I wanted to find that guy's cat emoji and make it Greg's avatar--ha ha ha.  (Hacking Invision forums is one of my least well known IT skills.)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the info Greg. Think I might look at the lithium option when my OEM battery gives up the ghost. Seems like there is now a lot of proven reliability and durability with this new technology.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, thtanner said:

You'd be way better off focusing your efforts on skill, not weight loss 😉 Such a waste of time discussing when the person riding can't even put the changes to good use.

LOL 😀

59e1f363cf738c537cf607d14c1c53c7afe5ffd3

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, Grum said:

Thanks for all the info Greg. Think I might look at the lithium option when my OEM battery gives up the ghost. Seems like there is now a lot of proven reliability and durability with this new technology.

Cheers.

You're very welcome.

I loved that "unleash" thread.

Grum, I'm using an antigravity in my 5th gen fighter (so is seb, actually). I've had mine sit for months and it still starts on the first stab of the button, crisp and clean.

I put an oyek one in my MT09 as the original one died a few months before I sold it. It made a light bike feel even lighter.

1 hour ago, keef said:

I loved that "unleash" thread.

Grum, I'm using an antigravity in my 5th gen fighter (so is seb, actually). I've had mine sit for months and it still starts on the first stab of the button, crisp and clean.

I put an oyek one in my MT09 as the original one died a few months before I sold it. It made a light bike feel even lighter.

I'm thinking this interaction could be heading in a very similar direction.

Archived