Newbie from AUS

brockfan05

Hey all.
Long time stalker of the VFR's as I always new I would end up on one eventually.
At the time of getting my first "big" bike there was nothing that was quite right so I ended up with an SV1000.
While I really liked the SV it just never really felt right as I new I wanted that V4 Growl and Gear Driven Cam whine.

So anyway here she is.
old SV attached also just because.

I don't plan on changing a lot as previous owner has her looking real sharp but a few minor changes here and there to make her my own and a few pieces needing powder coating to match the pieces already done.

Came with PCIII fitted but not dyno tuned.
Delkevic high mount Can.

I plan on going to a Staintune can and tuning the PC.
I'm running a high flow DNA filter

But for now just enjoying the ride and that sound and keeping her clean haha.

IMG_20180923_160003_398.jpg

IMG_20180923_160104_509.jpg

IMG_20180324_143721_635.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lovely colour and very clean, too.

One small change would be to swap for the later(VTec) footpegs which have thinner and firmer rubber pads. And they fit perfectly. The original ones felt way too soft for my taste.

If the handlebars seem too high you can swap on ~⅝" lower '90-'97 VFR750 'bars. The bar end weights are different, but your switchgear will mount properly. As I recall, there was no interference with the fuel tank or windscreen. But, the position of the locating tabs on the 'bars differ amongst the VFR models. No worries though, just ensure that the fasteners are correctly torqued.

• Member Contributer

I have the same bike in blue and luv it. Just did Sydney to Cairns and looking forward to another great trip back in a few weeks.

The reg/rec died on me in Brisbane (40,004km) my volt meter showed a low voltage problem and saved me getting stranded thank F* ... there is a chap in Boonah qld that has mosfet type r/r's for $210AUD in stock. 

The dodgy factory electrics are located under your left thigh on the bike, its worth taking a look.

Enjoy

I have the same bike in blue and luv it. Just did Sydney to Cairns and looking forward to another great trip back in a few weeks.

The reg/rec died on me in Brisbane (40,004km) my volt meter showed a low voltage problem and saved me getting stranded thank F* ... there is a chap in Boonah qld that has mosfet type r/r's for $210AUD in stock. 

The dodgy factory electrics are located under your left thigh on the bike, its worth taking a look.

Enjoy
Cheers mate.
Definately keen on sending her in to get all the wiring looked at to insure nothing is corroded or looking anything less than perfect.
I hear everyone talking about installing a volt meter.
Id really like to avoid it as i like the minimal look without extras hanging off it everywhere but i guess like you say if i notice fluctuations in the readings i can assume ill soon have issues and not get stranded anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lovely colour and very clean, too.

One small change would be to swap for the later(VTec) footpegs which have thinner and firmer rubber pads. And they fit perfectly. The original ones felt way too soft for my taste.

If the handlebars seem too high you can swap on ~⅝" lower '90-'97 VFR750 'bars. The bar end weights are different, but your switchgear will mount properly. As I recall, there was no interference with the fuel tank or windscreen. But, the position of the locating tabs on the 'bars differ amongst the VFR models. No worries though, just ensure that the fasteners are correctly torqued.
Hey mate. Interested in fitting the newer footpegs as long as they are straight bolt on.
Are you recommending the whole bracket? Heel plate, shifter/brake etc or just the peg itself?

Ill be taking it all off to get powder coated soon but if im going to change i may aswell get the new stuff done instead and keep riding while its off getting painted haha.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Welcome.

Is that original colour or has it had a paint job? It looks more like the later model 6th Gen red than the 5th Gen red, though it could be the photo. Looks gorgeous either way.  :beer:

17 minutes ago, Skids said:

Welcome.

Is that original colour or has it had a paint job? It looks more like the later model 6th Gen red than the 5th Gen red, though it could be the photo. Looks gorgeous either way.  :beer:

Hey mate.
It is actually Mazda Soul Red. It looks amazing in person. Photo does it no justice.

The gold fleck in this paint job is more than the normal Mazda amount and it looks smick.

I love it.

Only issue is it will be a real hassle if touch ups or fix ups will ever be required as it is pretty much unmatchable and the whole bike will need re doing.

Fingers crossed (touch wood) ill never need to do this haha.

Already found a dirty stone chip that is quite deep. To protect it and stop it from spreading I am running through ideas of subtle pinstripe decals to put on the bike.
But have to be careful has to keep the class mixed with sporty look that this paint job gives it and not step into that boy street racer look.
I have to do something though as last thing I need is the chip to start spreading.

If you have any ideas flick them my way haha.

Might put a post up soon asking advice from the forums shortly LOL.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, brockfan05 said:

Hey mate. Interested in fitting the newer footpegs as long as they are straight bolt on.
Are you recommending the whole bracket? Heel plate, shifter/brake etc or just the peg itself?

All you need are the footpegs. They'll bolt onto your existing brackets in place of the originals, and use the same hinge pin and spring and feeler bolt. Take a look at a VTec and you'll see.

Back in '99 I got a pair from the CBR600 F4i, but the VTec VFR uses the same ones.

Archived