2010 Gen 6 Big Blue Connector corrosion

HighSideNZ

• Member Contributer

Well went to start my 2010 Gen 6 VFR today and there was no fuel pump noise!

Started out and checked the kill switch, engine stop relay, fuel cut relay and everything in between.

All checked out OK so the big blue connector on the left hand side was next.

Sure enough, the bottom 4 connectors were corroded.  The Red/White wire at the bottom is the one that feed the fuel pump.

Cleaned them all up and coated them in OxGard.

Everything working as expected now but this is something all Gen 6 owners need to keep an eye on.

Even after the Honda recall on this fault in the early years of the Gen 6, the problem still exists even in the latest Gen 6 released.

Phil

• Member Contributer

The saga continued.

Went to start the bike the next day and it fired up, sat idling, then stopped.

Back to original issue with no fuel pump and this time no head lights (low beam)

Ripped everything apart again and traced the voltages, or the lack of them, back to the Blue Connector again.

Decided to replace the bottom six connectors with a waterproof automotive connector, so cut and lengthened each wire from both sides of the blue connector and crimped on the new bits.

Put it all back together and voltages back to what they should be, battery voltage.

This connector is probably going to bite every 6th Gen owner at some stage.

I've got 100,000 km on mine and it's only 8 years old.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the post - a good reminder to look after the electrics.  In 2012 I did a preemptive strike and separated every connector I could get to and coated the pins with Oxgard.  So far so good - but this post has me thinking that some ongoing maintenance is still a good idea. 

• Member Contributer

Yes in hindsight, I should have done a similar thing but too late now.

Archived