2019 VFRD Memorial Spring Ride

• Member Contributer

Ooops.... I googled for a fitting image....   

searching "pussy trailer"... 

Not advised in an open office environment, I can say this much.... :goofy: 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I just realized I'd just be arriving normally. I wish I was there and wish everyone a safe and fun (in that order) rally. 

Thus is Life In The Old Lane (don't you know you've lost your mind)

Folks are starting to arrive here in AR for our ride.  Unfortunately so is the possible rainy weather.  Hope we all can get some good riding weather this week/weekend.

• Member Contributer

I would take you up on it, Sweeper, but work is badly in the way that week.  That really sucks but me not working is not a good picture.  I would go crazy...crazier that is.....

• Member Contributer

Just arrived in Highlands. I will see everyone in the morning. I hope the weather holds!

• Member Contributer

Hi everyone,

Cancelling this trip. Weather forecast is for Sat and Sunday rain and/or thunderstorms on way down. And I could not arrive till Saturday afternoon anyway. Good riding.

Bill Mersch

aka MisterBill

Hi everyone,

Cancelling this trip. Weather forecast is for Sat and Sunday rain and/or thunderstorms on way down. And I could not arrive till Saturday afternoon anyway. Good riding.

Bill Mersch
aka MisterBill

Rides were had today but you did miss one heck of a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although much fancy expensive equipment is being used, it appears forecasters usually have no clue and are simply guessing.  "They" forecasted 70-90% chance of rain for Friday and Saturday.  We rode most of the day each day and not a drop of actual rain.   Hope yall got some good riding in as well.

Moral:  Don't miss a ride due to forecasts.  Show up and ride if possible and enjoy the company.

Another SpringRide has come and gone. If you missed it, you missed out. I didn't take as many pics this year but here are a few highlights.

IMG_6355.thumb.JPG.07e2db99d4221117015d00253d39f55e.JPG

I dragged the CB500x along this year because CaptainApe( now MajorGrits) flew in from his new assignment in California. Andy decided to ride with us all week due to the rigors of flying coast to coast. There were seven of us on the PreRide this year. We met in Franklin on Saturday afternoon and enjoyed a meal at Fatz that evening. Sunday, we left for a long ride to Little Switzerland. It was a great day with no straight roads. Sunday evening, we enjoyed lies and beer by the fire pits followed by dinner with Kimball and some of his friends. Monday we started the day with The Diamondback and 80. It was in the upper forties so I put on my vest. About an hour into our ride, I noticed my phone wasn't on the holder. PANIC! After a few minutes of patting myself down, Bob said it was in my hand when I put my vest on. It was in my vest pocket. Now we had some catching up to do. After passing a couple of cars on 80, we found a really tight left hand that was preceded by a bad dip on the right shoulder. I missed the dip but had to check up hard for the turn. My next thought was how bad did I screw up Bob. I looked in the mirror to see him roll off the edge of the road and his bike launch him into the bank. It turned out that Bob had not seen the dip and it caused him to miss how tight the turn was. Only a few minor marks to the bike and Bob. I did not take a picture because I'm slipping. The sticker says "Crashing Sucks".

IMG_6360.thumb.JPG.b0a6789e271bf9e833303388b3302c94.JPG

Bob was getting a little sore from the off so I insisted that he and I head for the hotel and rest for the afternoon. The Oakpark Inn in Waynesville is a neat little place to stay.

IMG_6361.thumb.JPG.8d31b5ccd4367106ae12693731a927ab.JPG

Bob was up and ready to go again after breakfast at Clydes.

IMG_6366.thumb.JPG.8ada1ab960ba45666d00c73a83764453.JPG

At our first stop of the morning, Andy and Greg decided to trade rides. It was very entertaining to watch Greg try and handle the 500 coming from his SuperSport. 

IMG_6368.thumb.JPG.50183e8a4b6694fdffa52de2a6fd3229.JPG

We road North Georgia into Helen for the night. Greg was nice enough to share his adult beverage.

IMG_6371.thumb.JPG.2ae00746655d8074ed6c2535642847b5.JPG 

We road north into Tellico and then to Robbinsville for lunch at The Hub. Not sure where Andy puts all the food but I'm jealous.

IMG_6373.thumb.JPG.a4d7c89b6027bf9ea829ccad9fa86025.JPG

The CB was like a little puppy all week. It just couldn't get enough of running with the big dogs.

IMG_6375.thumb.JPEG.a2992821da66cc6c7a40357a5107dbb7.JPEG

As is tradition, we had to have a group toast on arrival back in Franklin. When everyone stopped for gas (SuperSports are thirsty) I stopped and picked up two twelve packs in my side bags. We had an awesome time thanks to Rob Power.

IMG_6377.thumb.JPG.87e5190897e80f9f29b31f2d00d88da1.JPG

First thing the next morning, another tradition, buying tires. We visited RideWNC and Mike put new tires on Rob and Ricks bikes. IMG_6380.thumb.JPG.384f1e4af938e248f38abddb4271791b.JPG

A Garmin stop on Warwoman and 28. This should have been a sign.

IMG_6384.thumb.JPG.09b1119d71c2b4c45cf5fed68c5c63ae.JPG

My buddy Steve joined us on his big Versys. This is how you make a VFR look small.IMG_6387.thumb.JPG.e572142e75f5d88439641076b26da3fd.JPG

So the Garmin thing came up again and we found ourselves on a gravel incline of about 45 degrees. When the lead bike can no longer move forward and starts sliding back down the hill, chaos ensues. We all looked for a way to stop and help Rob pick up his bike but couldn't find a way to get off. Then I hear Steve's bike fall and see him running head first as fast as he can towards me. He wasn't having any luck with catching his head but managed to miss me and fall behind me. He was fine. This is when I pulled out my phone to take a picture. I watched as Rick leaned his beautiful Beetle Bag against the bank to go and help. Aaron road his XR to the top spraying gravel down the hill. The fun wasn't over. We got the bikes turned down the hill but then couldn't stop. Both brakes locked just resulted in the bike sliding down the hill. It was an adventure. The only damage was a few scratches to Rob's freshly painted bike.

IMG_6388.thumb.JPG.a9a613220d8d3144db1c81fade5ef031.JPG

Saturday's weather was a little iffy and I was tired so I stayed at the hotel and watched it rain.

IMG_6390.thumb.JPG.965a2924035d1331e14fa257df40f37c.JPG

Saturday night we had the usual dinner and awards. This years green jersey was awarded to Rob after a really close call on story telling. Saved someone from being the first repeat winner.

IMG_6395.thumb.JPG.e12d2fe78585a4a6b3f0d0dff5deac5d.JPGIMG_6434.thumb.JPEG.cd6947d3e5f3f3ffa96621024ba9b5c6.JPEG

I had to include this pic to show how hard Andy worked the CB. These are Shinko 705 dualsport tires. He ran the front and back to the edge and they don't even appear to have been hot. The middle scuff is from me loading on the trailer.

IMG_6436.thumb.JPG.fb7e8d31086e6a0a1dccca1e4e2392a2.JPG

One last pic because I'm really proud that for once I wasn't too close to the double yellow.

kb4.JPG.c90f3d294187666586349e6e5d87181d.JPG

A big thanks to Bob and Ben for continuing to put this event on. Hope to see you all there next year or maybe at the FallRide.

IMG_6393.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the pics, Sweeper.  Looks like the annual ride is fading away.  I remember when TMAC used to fill up the Microtel in Robbinsville and the Franklin Motel entirely with 60 attendees before the motel was bulldozed.  

I guess VFR riders are fading away.  Honda doesn't even sell them in the U. S. except for what old units are left in stock...the few left.  Time marches on.  

• Member Contributer

I was hoping to run into a few VFRD peeps while I was down that way. I'm usually down there the first full week in May. We got in Friday 5/3 and stayed through the 12th, but didn't ride a bunch the first weekend. We rode from Townsend TN down to the crossroads, stopped at Tapoco Lodge for lunch when it started pouring so we just rode back. Sunday didn't get on the bikes at all. I brought my 86 840, first time I've had that bike down there and it still gets the job done. 🙂 I also brought a Ducati that I restored over the winter, and of course it broke after a couple days riding (oil cooler line leak). The Honda was bulletproof 🙂  

Thanks as well for the pics Sweeper, for those not on FFff book.

While I did not hang around I met Rice and friend at the hotel and spent a good day riding with them and again on Friday (ever so briefly on 129 GA).

Met Balint and friend at the overlook as well on Thurs(?).  It was really good to see some of the TMAC Crewe including Ben and Bob.

The Fall Ride bekons as I may be in the area early Oct.

IMG_20190502_111442 ppout.jpg

Thanks as well for the pics Sweeper, for those not on FFff book.
While I did not hang around I met Rice and friend at the hotel and spent a good day riding with them and again on Friday (ever so briefly on 129 GA).
Met Balint and friend at the overlook as well on Thurs(?).  It was really good to see some of the TMAC Crewe including Ben and Bob.
The Fall Ride bekons as I may be in the area early Oct.

1047736207_IMG_20190502_111442ppout.thumb.jpg.381224b9e178d1874bfefa0ef6f9aca8.jpg

I heard someone talking about you being in town. Sorry I missed you. My one visit to the gap was Wednesday afternoon on our way back to Franklin. It was a crummy run and I decided it was enough. Hope to see you in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Anyone like riding in the rain, raise their hand.  I ALWAYS check the weather forecast before riding to Western NC.  If the forecast is rain, me no leave my place no matter what is going on over there.  Rain and aggressive motorcycle riding don't mix...or any kind of motorcycle riding for that matter.  Sorry it rained, yet again at the annual Spring ride.  

1 hour ago, Bent said:

Anyone like riding in the rain, raise their hand.  I ALWAYS check the weather forecast before riding to Western NC.  If the forecast is rain, me no leave my place no matter what is going on over there.  Rain and aggressive motorcycle riding don't mix...or any kind of motorcycle riding for that matter.  Sorry it rained, yet again at the annual Spring ride.  

Ahhh, for those of us less fortunate in terms of geography and the Event dates compromises are made. I checked the 10 day before driving 14 hours to Robbinsville.  As Sun. Mon. and Tues. were to be dry in all forecasts and there were slightly higher chances of rain daily after that, I took the Three Day Guarantee and dodged around the weather for three more.

Wed. was beautiful in N.GA, Thurs was a one hour delay(pic).

Still Worth The Drive  

Did not attend last year due to the weather.

BTW, Dragons Rest Cabins in R'ville. Recommended.

IMG_20190430_171333 ppsz.jpg

15 hours ago, Sweeper said:

I heard someone talking about you being in town. Sorry I missed you. My one visit to the gap was Wednesday afternoon on our way back to Franklin. It was a crummy run and I decided it was enough. Hope to see you in the fall.

Thanks Randy. I had hoped to spend some time at the hotel to kvetch but I lost some time chasing down a no-hot-start situation.

That pre Ride looked awesome except the trailriding. Could not find reference to it prior soooo.......

Archived