Connector gets hot!

jstehman

This connector by the battery gets super hot!

I'm guessing there's a lot of resistance in there.

Should I try cleaning the contacts or just change it out for something beefier?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Change it out with a new 30A fuse holder.  You won't be successfull if you just try and clean the contacts.  I'm surprised it's lasted this long.  

Likely other grounds and connections need maintenance also.

• Member Contributer

I have a '99 and my 30a fuse holder was very toasty. I replaced it with a 30a breaker from RoadsterCycle.com instead of another fuse holder. The breaker (available from many other sources) has studs and nuts to secure ring terminals as opposed to female terminals to accept blade fuses. Those just wear out. They do. They get looser and looser over time and then the electrikery starts arcing and melting the plastic surrounding it. Eventually the whole thing melts down. 

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, GreginDenver said:

Installing a VFRness will take the load off that part, and it'll help your Regulator/Rectifier and Stator last longer.

I respect the guy for making the VFRness, but now it's more of a band-aid compared to a SH847/FH020AA upgrade w/ direct wiring than anything.

21 minutes ago, thtanner said:

I respect the guy for making the VFRness, but now it's more of a band-aid compared to a SH847/FH020AA upgrade w/ direct wiring than anything.

Just trying to offer a solution that focuses on exactly the weak point in the VFR electrical system being discussed in this thread

When I offer a more comprehensive solution (one that goes above and beyond the exact scope of the issue being discussed) I usually get blow-back or dismissal, usually related to the price of what I'm recommending.  So in this case I chose to recommend the cheapest, most tightly focused and expeditious solution.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jstehman said:

I am thinking a 30 amp fuse with 10awg wire.

And Im not sure exactly what the VFRarness is but I thought most of the 6th gen wiring issues were resolved by 2007 models?

I just checked and I used a 12 awg wire 30A fuse holder when I did mine 5 years ago and it has held up well.  A 10 awg will be ok too.

You are right - most of the electrical issues were resolved starting with the 2006 models and adding the VFRness is an over-kill, (IMO).  Cleaning contacts &  improving the grounds made a huge difference for my 2006.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, GreginDenver said:

Just trying to offer a solution that focuses on exactly the weak point in the VFR electrical system being discussed in this thread

When I offer a more comprehensive solution (one that goes above and beyond the exact scope of the issue being discussed) I usually get blow-back or dismissal, usually related to the price of what I'm recommending.  So in this case I chose to recommend the cheapest, most tightly focused and expeditious solution.

But it's a wasted effort, when the regulator will need swapped eventually. Even with a VFRness, the stock regulator will fail. The SH847 increases stator life dramatically, so even goes above beyond the scope of the solution on offer.

In short, why use the band-aid when there's a better, more complete, solution? It's wasted $ at that point that could be put towards the regulator and wiring upgrade. Think future, not just the now.

It comes down to a fundamental principle of online forums :

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, thtanner said:

But it's a wasted effort, when the regulator will need swapped eventually. Even with a VFRness, the stock regulator will fail. The SH847 increases stator life dramatically, so even goes above beyond the scope of the solution on offer.

In short, why use the band-aid when there's a better, more complete, solution? It's wasted $ at that point that could be put towards the regulator and wiring upgrade. Think future, not just the now.

100% Agree. The VFRness is a pretty good band-aid, but a series regulator with a heavier charging harness is a surgeon stitching up the wound! More expensive, but I know which one I trust to stop the bleeding!

7 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

It comes down to a fundamental principle of online forums :

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Eh, sign me up to be damned as well...

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, jstehman said:

So the R/R is problematic even on the 07?

Unfortunately yes, while not as bad as some of the earlier units, it isn't as good (and as long lasting) as the modern units currently available. The tech in the newer SH847 for example actually lengthens stator life.

• Member Contributer

It's fairly strait forward as you only have to splice the 3 stator wires to the new connector (everything you need is included.) The rest is just connecting the battery cable to the rectifier and swapping that out. There's an adapter plate to make the regulator mount in the stock position. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, jstehman said:

And should I just go ahead and wire up a battery meter while I'm changing out the 30amp connector?

You've got a great looking RWB! 

I don't know how many miles there on it but just one toasty looking fuse holder does not mean you need a new R/R!

If it were my decision I'd change out the fuse holder, check and upgrade a few connectors and grounds and add an easy way to check voltage. The original OEM R/R should be good for well more than 35k+ miles with normal bike maintenance & monitoring. 

Good Luck!

Thanks!

Good to hear about the regulator.

Kind of deja Vu with Honda and their connectors.. The R/R connector was the first one I hard wired on my 82 Magna.

I need to get that connector changed out soon.. it's pretty scary how hot that thing gets.

And should I just go ahead and wire up a battery meter while I'm changing out the 30amp connector?

See the recent thread on whether the 6.5 gen's electrical gremlins have been exorcised. In short, no. Better but not fixed.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, thtanner said:

...The tech in the newer SH847 for example actually lengthens stator life.

I've seen that mentioned in a couple of places randomly, but only anecdotally. I admit, I'm no electronics expert, but I'd like to think I'm better versed than the average guy, and my understanding of the system is that it should do quite the opposite. I've read a few threads in various places where people demonstrated their stators to be running cooler with a series regulator, which should indicate less stress.

Do you have any supporting data?

• Member Contributer

In short, less draw from the stator, thus reducing heat.

Here's some general info on the technology itself. https://www.dimensionengineering.com/info/switching-regulators

Also another helpful quote I found

a series type regulator allows current to flow from the alternator/generator, until the limit is reached and it switches off the semiconductors. the load on the alternator coils is reduced, less heat is evolved. one issue is dealing with the back EMF generated in the alternator coils when the current is abruptly switched off. you have to somehow block the volatges well into the KV range.

they only draw as much current from the alternator as required.

a shunt type regulator allows current to reach a certain limit, then shunts or shorts the output to ground.

this places a high load on the alternator windings, and the excess power is leaked away as heat. lots of heat.

they are much simpler to design, have no issue with back EMF, but do place the alternator under full load all the time. the best way to minimise heat is to use as many accessories as the generator/battery can handle. then the regulator doesnt have to shunt so much power to ground.

shunt style has been the defacto standard for many decades now. only recently has the series type become available.

Archived