Have you ridden a Vfr1200x?

swimmer

• Member Contributer

Any current or former VFR1200F owners that have ridden a VFR1200X care to share your experience? How would you compare the two?  Particularly I am I interested in heat management, which the F model is exceptional at, and wind noise or general wind management. 

• Member Contributer

I've test ridden a couple over the years. I don't recall any heating issues and the screen was good at over 100mph, just like it is on my Crossrunner. It's clearly not got the top end of the F model, due to lower peak power and more drag due to the upright riding position but how often do we ride significantly above the ton? I will seriously consider purchasing one if the riding position on my F model gets too uncomfortable as I age.

This is from my first ride of one back in 2012 before I bought my 1200F and in the early days of DCT. I don't think it answers your question though.

I think I can sum this up really easily by pointing to the size of my grin! What a hugely excellent bike. Stonking engine, even this detuned top-end version and as for the DCT…well it’s a bit like the shaft-drive…you kind of forget all about it after a short while and it’s sooooooo effortless. What it does do, though it would take a while before you hit the nirvana point, is allow you  focus more on positioning and speed without having to worry about precisely which gear you’re in. Clearly not an option on a race track, but we’re not, most of us, and the engine has so much torque and power that you can open the throttle in almost any gear and get an eyeball bruising acceleration – so what does it matter what gear yr actually in? I really do think that this could be the way forward. I thought I might have an issue with not having a clutch or gear lever, but it really is intuitive and easy and actually only once did I move my left foot to change gear.

There are 3 modes you can ride in: first is Drive which is really designed for in town I think as it gets you into high gear very quickly (not that you care) whilst still allowing instant acceleration when/if needed. Then, by flicking the button with yr right thumb, it goes into Sport mode which is more useful on the open road, though again, you find yourself in a much higher gear than you would be on a manual bike. If that is a problem for you, then at any time, you can change gear manually using the tiptronic paddles with your left forefinger (change up) and thumb (change down). Actually, that’s not quite true, cos if yr doing around 30mph, it wont allow you to change up from 4th to 5th, but you can always change down a gear so using engine braking, even in Drive or Sport modes is not a problem. And the gear changes themselves are sublime, almost unnoticeable.

I do think many riders would find it too much of a pain because they want to control the gear they’re in, in the traditional manner (with the foot/clutch) but I must admit I found it very easy and natural and I was surprised at just how easy (fast) I was going. And considering it has such a small front screen, there is very little wind blast and normal cruise speeds can be maintained all day without discomfort. The upright, trailie-style bars and seating position is great, and the handling, even at very low speeds, is easy and pretty precise. It is softer than the Vtec though and I think if I bought one, I’d do something to stiffen up the front end.

Despite the hefty kerbside weight, it’s nimble, and just like the ST 1200F version, you just don’t notice all that weight. Indeed, it’s one of the easiest bikes I’ve ridden at low speed….like 1 mph. The throttle is silky smooth, response instant yet without sharp acceleration unless you open the throttle positively (fly-by-wire throttle).

It did feel very different getting back on the Vtec afterwards…all crunched up with the narrow handlebars. Question is…would I have one? In a heartbeat. The DCT, wide bars and the changes they’ve made to the mapping (including traction control) make it an utter joy to ride and it would be worth the £14k+ just to see the GS’s disappearing in the mirrors.

• 2 weeks later...

I did testride last year a 2017 model that one of my buddies has. It was a new bike, test occured after the run-in period, maybe it had around 10k km's onboard.

Powerwise it felt slower and too bland, it was my first time on DCT, the engine does not feel so tractive. I like the top end that the F model has. Wind protection is good, better than that of the F model, but it should be expected to be better. I would say it meets the expectations. Heat did not feel an issue but i rode it only outside of the cities so it may not be a balanced opinion.

It is a good bike overall, i expected a little more on the engine side, maybe this is also due to the liniarity honda puts into it's engines. I would make the swap only if more ergonomics and long-journey comfort are heavily needed than on the F model. Otherwise, no. Just no.

My buddy, on the other hand, just loves his X bike. He bought a 2018 model now, his 2017 was totalled when hit by a car (rider ok). He would not change it for any other bike. I think the bike suits him, he is a little older than me, at 50+ years old.

• Member Contributer
On 10/6/2018 at 10:06 AM, vfr1200f said:

I did testride last year a 2017 model that one of my buddies has. It was a new bike, test occured after the run-in period, maybe it had around 10k km's onboard.

Powerwise it felt slower and too bland, it was my first time on DCT, the engine does not feel so tractive. I like the top end that the F model has. Wind protection is good, better than that of the F model, but it should be expected to be better. I would say it meets the expectations. Heat did not feel an issue but i rode it only outside of the cities so it may not be a balanced opinion.

It is a good bike overall, i expected a little more on the engine side, maybe this is also due to the liniarity honda puts into it's engines. I would make the swap only if more ergonomics and long-journey comfort are heavily needed than on the F model. Otherwise, no. Just no.

My buddy, on the other hand, just loves his X bike. He bought a 2018 model now, his 2017 was totalled when hit by a car (rider ok). He would not change it for any other bike. I think the bike suits him, he is a little older than me, at 50+ years old.

Yea, that was the idea.  Something for more comfort on longer rides with less wind noise.  I wouldn't expect it to have the performance of the F.  I would like to have both the X and the F but I can only have 2  motorcycles  so I would have sell my 250L Rally which would mean no dirt riding anymore. I plan to keep my F through 100k miles and I am at 62k right now so, at least another 2 years. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived