Rear axle removal problem

race549

Hey guys, I need to replace the rear disk break on my 1997 vfr750 and I am having more trouble than I expected at removing the rear axle. I was able to remove the left side nut and lockwasher, but the collar just wont come out. As I understand it, once I remove that collar I should be able to just slide out the axle, but it just wont budge. I have been spraying liquid wrench in every nook and cranny and banging on the darn thing with a rubber hammer to try to slide out the axle, but it just wont budge. It is almost as if that collar is just fused on there. Any suggestions as to what I can do?
Thank you! 

• Member Contributer

Your axle is probably frozen at the wheel bearings due to corrosion
from either rain riding or washing your bike with a garden hose... if
the rubber hammer fails then you need more force like a large steel
hammer... to protect the axle and threads source a hard wood block or
plastic... installed the nut backwards so the flange faces you...
strike the wood / plastic against the nut... the force to budge the
axle maybe extreme so be prepared for the bike to move about... also
be prepared for the axle to propel free in a shot... having a second
body helps to control the reaction to the hammer force... after the
axle is out check to make sure the wheel bearings are still seated in
their place... a little grease will prevent this from happening again...

I don't have photos of an 97 dual arm but these are from 98 single arm frozen axle...

gallery_3131_51_44321.jpg
gallery_3131_51_11731.jpg

Thank you! Yes I tried with a 5 lb sledge hammer and a wood block. Still isn’t budging. I can see some corrosion around where the collar and axle meet, so that has to be the problem. I guess I have to just keep at it. 

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

You have to pry off the axle collar if there is any kind of corrosion/crud before you can get that axle out. Check out this video at 4:39 in -- its basically how I had to do mine, with two large flat bladed screwdrivers as pry bars.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, race549 said:

Thank you! Yes I tried with a 5 lb sledge hammer and a wood block. Still isn’t budging. I can see some corrosion around where the collar and axle meet, so that has to be the problem. I guess I have to just keep at it. 

Thanks again!

You should be able to vise grip the collar and turn the axle to break it loose... however this action will mess up the finish on the collar... you might have to remove whole swingarm and set the wheel on a press to safely remove the axle because you're working against the possibility of  3 frozen bearing...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thank you! I’ll try the screw drivers and the vice grips idea. The guy a bought the bike from years ago lived literally neaxt to the beach, so I suspect the whole darn thing is full of rust. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Archived