TriumphTraitor

• Member Contributer

After months of scouring the internet it became apparent that my VFR was plagued by a similar issue that many have that has no apparent cure. Lumpy idling, stumbling upon acceleration and over all poor running.

I did all of the Troubleshooting that's in the repair manual and all checked within spec. Even checking the balance of the starter valves - all was within spec. I have tried various combinations of he PAIR mod as well with very little success.

There was a lot of recommendation to use a PowerCommander but there was generally a divide where it either exacerbated the problems or only mildly made them better. In my research I came across the  RapidBike Racing and Evo modules. What piqued my interest with this module over the PowerCommander was this module utilizes the O2 sensors and has the ability to adjust the fueling in the lower spectrum of the RPM which cant be modified by simpler modules such as the PowerCommander. The biggest downside was the hefty price tag. a few more hundred over the PowerCommander. 

But the results reported by all seemed promising  so I bit the bullet and ordered myself one. Well, it took nearly 2 months to receive which was incredibly disappointing especially specifically ordering directly through RapidBike Canada. None the less, I spent last week installing this module. I was't particularly pleased with trying to stuff this module under the seat (where we all know there is no space already) so i decided to make this installation as unobtrusive and inconspicuous as possible. Check out the photos.

Its been about 400Km since I have installed the module and holy $H!T, I cannot express the difference this bike has in performance, smoothness, rideability and overall engine characteristics. The increase in low end torque is unreal!

I have played around with a couple of the MAP settings in the module and its only getting better and better as the module self programs Km by Km.  

So for anyone who is suffering from a similar plague, I highly recommend the RapidBike Module.

IMG_20180918_155106846.jpg

IMG_20180918_155119552.jpg

IMG_20180918_170026220.jpg

IMG_20180918_170042734_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180918_171418695_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20180918_171612551_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180918_171616522_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180918_172504729.jpg

IMG_20180918_172511266.jpg

IMG_20180918_172523508_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180918_173622724.jpg

IMG_20180918_174155491.jpg

Map.PNG

• Member Contributer

I have one currently installed on my 09 and have one that will be going on my 01, once I get off my tush and back to working on it. As for my 09, I agree, the bike runs really good and feels to have even better mid range now that I have the 98-99 catless headers on. Since the headers didn’t have O2 bungs, I had some put on so I could utilize the “auto-tuning” capability of the RB module. So far I’m happy with it but haven’t really played with the software yet. Figured I’d leave well enough alone for now. Most likely I’ll be digging into it once I get the 01 fitted though,

• Member Contributer

I have one in my 01.   It's not as dramatic a difference as you might see in the 6th gens, and the 6th gens  also get a bigger boost out of the ignition advance in the Racing version.

All that said, it was pricey but the bike pulls nicely when I open the throttle and there are no flat spots anywhere.

Currently, I'm running it with no stock sensors (O2 eliminators) and a My Tuning Bike module. It was just fine with the stock sensors, but I hate the lean cruise mode, which was particularly bad on my bike, so this was my solution. And I like looking at the data, tweaking the engine braking, and all that.

1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

I have what acts like a lean condition at idle to 5k rpm.  Do you think this would fix it? I honestly have no idea if it’s fueling or what. 

Have you done the usual flapper etc mods?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dav668 said:

Have you done the usual flapper etc mods?

Man people really think those 3 mods do something special. The only one out of the 3 that really even does much of anything is the PAIR mod, since it affects the o2 sensor readings, and even that is way less pronounced than people make it out to be.

21 hours ago, thtanner said:

Man people really think those 3 mods do something special. The only one out of the 3 that really even does much of anything is the PAIR mod, since it affects the o2 sensor readings, and even that is way less pronounced than people make it out to be.

Whatevs...made a massive difference to mine in low rev tractability off the line, the throttle micromanaging I used to have to do in city traffic and mid-range steady revs. The mods did a lot to mine for zero bucks. I KNOW they did something. I was skeptical but very pleased after doing the mods as per the FB group page (simple PAIR disable was part of that). I lobbed into this thread trying to help those more knowledgeable, my bad

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dav668 said:

Whatevs...made a massive difference to mine in low rev tractability off the line, the throttle micromanaging I used to have to do in city traffic and mid-range steady revs. The mods did a lot to mine for zero bucks. I KNOW they did something. I was skeptical but very pleased after doing the mods as per the FB group page (simple PAIR disable was part of that). I lobbed into this thread trying to help those more knowledgeable, my bad

The PAIR mod is the only one that makes any real measurable difference. As I noted, it affects (corrects) the o2 readings.

The problem with these mods is they get grouped into 1 and people think its some magical trio. It's not, and shouldn't be the first thing people do to their VFR. Learning to ride it, properly, should be the first thing they do. Then they hear the extra intake noise with the snorkel removed and say 'but the bike feels faster!'

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, thtanner said:

The PAIR mod is the only one that makes any real measurable difference. As I noted, it affects (corrects) the o2 readings.

The problem with these mods is they get grouped into 1 and people think its some magical trio. It's not, and shouldn't be the first thing people do to their VFR. Learning to ride it, properly, should be the first thing they do. Then they hear the extra intake noise with the snorkel removed and say 'but the bike feels faster!'

Truth. 

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Dav668 said:

I didn't say faster, I said smoother, esp off the mark and down low. Nice not to hear that flapper flapping also. Thanks for insinuating I haven't learnt to ride it, nice 🙂

I did not insinuate anything; I made a general statement about people and their unnecessary readiness to modify something before they even know how to operate it well. 9/10 don't even know what the parts they're disabling / removing do.

• Member Contributer
On 9/24/2018 at 11:30 AM, thtanner said:

The only benefit removing the snorkel has is you hear more of the induction noise. But agreed, it makes no difference in performance, however, I did notice with the PAIR mod, the bikes runs way more lean on the lower end of the RPM's and it ran much worse for me. The pair valve is N/O up until i believe 2k rpm where it abruptly shuts off. with the valve open, it creates a lean situation and the bike tries to compensate by adding more fuel. So blocking the valve makes the bike think its running rich and then it cuts back on the fuel which is why there is that drop in RPM when it is blocked off. I may be wrong on this, but i'm fairly sure this is the case.

With the RB, I did disable the PAIR valve though and its so much smoother... I have done some more playing and modified the map quite a bit more.

image.thumb.png.d88f47028e329e22728d221e6d5a2c6f.png

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dav668 said:

I didn't say faster, I said smoother, esp off the mark and down low. Nice not to hear that flapper flapping also. Thanks for insinuating I haven't learnt to ride it, nice 🙂

Are you referring to that slight popping noise that you can hear coming from under the tank? If so, tha's actually the pair valve opening and closing

Archived