Brake Hose Options

TheLimey

• Member Contributer

Hey guys,

I'm slowly gathering the parts to de-link my brakes and run the lowers from an F4i with some 954 calipers. I'm going to bastardise my existing VFR forks and will be stealing the stanchions and cartridge tubes to ensure the travel and overall length stays the same.

I would like to run some braided hoses from the CBR600RR master cylinder I have in a race format (double banjo bolt with a separate line to each caliper) and wondered if anybody knew of an existing kit that would be an appropriate length? I was thinking of something else with a comparable fork length like a ZX-14R. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Luke

• Member Contributer

Not really what you asked, but possibly helpful... My brakes are the stock linked/ABS system, but I needed slightly longer hoses to the levers because I converted to conventional bars. I called Galfer and they made me a customized version of their braided hose kit for maybe $20 more. It wasn't cheap by any means, but not unreasonable considering the sheer number of hoses and fittings involved. Worth a call to see what they'll charge you. Very satisfying results... eventually: after my second attempt at bleeding the system.

• Member Contributer

There are several brake line vendors that could help you. Since you only need 2 lines, what I suggest is take a trip to Lowes and buy several feet of  3/8 in plastic tubing. Take that and figure a route to your left, cut it and then figure a route to your right, cut it again. Then consider what banjo connector you would want. Now you have an idea of what to tell the vendors to make for you for length and fitting. 

I have done this quite a few times while working on different bikes. For me though Speigler is in my neighborhood, its works easy. 

• Member Contributer

I was trying to avoid going the custom route since I figured an off-the-shelf kit for another bike would probably work out cheaper, but it looks like it might just be the easiest way to get exactly what I need.

• Member Contributer

If you really think about it, the economics of scale just aren't there to make the sets considerably cheaper. There just aren't that many total motorcyclists out there, compared to cars for instance... Out of those, how many different models of bike are produced every year? Then how many owners of each model ever get an aftermarket brake hose kit? It's a niche market, so the manufacturers have to be flexible. 

Archived