My turn for electrical problems

RDMcD

• Member Contributer

70,000km + 18 years=Charging issues.

I'm probably going to use a Honda stator and some kind of mosfet regulator. Open to any advice or suggestions.

Has anyone had any luck with having the stator rewound???

Just curious if anyone has used these,

https://www.rmstator.com/en_ca/list/parts/Motorcycle/2000/Honda/VFR_800_Interceptor/--/

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I've had my '99 rewound, and it's holding up fine. Got it done from a small shop in Birmingham, AL called Custom Rewind. Doesn't look like they still have a website, but they do have a facebook page. Just called Custom Rewind, Motorcycle Repair Shop.

Last year my R/R failed, it was FH012 I got used from an R1 on eBay. I forget how many years/miles it was on my bike, but a fair few to be sure. I replaced it with a brand new FH020 from Roadster Cycle. As the FH012 died it took out the 30a fuse I had between the power out and the battery +, so I replaced that with a 30a circuit breaker. It's got better connections too, nut and stud to hold ring terminals. Later I found the 30a fuse on the OE wire loom (located on the front of the battery box) was looking mighty toasty with burn marks on the blades of the fuse. So I replaced that with another 30a breaker.

If you are not familiar with the R/R complete replacement, it's fairly simple. I believe that is the key, to simplify the stock mess and reduce the number of connections. Basically you have the three wires from the stator, which is the same. If you get the FH020, you'll need to crimp on new terminals and a connector. That goes to the R/R, and your DC power output is 2 wires. You run the black ground straight to the main frame, and the red + to the battery + terminal but through a 30a fuse or breaker. That's all the connections you need. No need to add more grounds, or another wire harness. 

Archived