VFR800F OEM Quick Shifter video

V4Rid3r

Hello!

I´ve installed the oem quick shifter in my viffer and couldn´t be happier!

I think it works great, sometimes not so smooth, but for hard accelerations it´s the best and a good bang for the buck to 😁

Cheers, V4 Rider

• Member Contributer

It's good for anything that isn't 1-2. That is always jumpy, and I elect to use the clutch for that. 2-3 and up are butter smooth at decent RPMs.

Great video - thanks for sharing! How does it work for down-shifting - ok when fully off throttle?

Hello!

I´ve installed the oem quick shifter in my viffer and couldn´t be happier!
I think it works great, sometimes not so smooth, but for hard accelerations it´s the best and a good bang for the buck to 
Cheers, V4 Rider

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

Great video - thanks for sharing! How does it work for down-shifting - ok when fully off throttle?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

No, it is not for downshifting.

For up shifts, 50% or more throttle is best. HIgher RPMs result in smoother shifting. All the quick shifter does is kill ignition for a half second when it detects you pushed up.

I rode with a guy with an S1000RR with the up/down quick shifter.  I think the down shift requires a rev-match and his bike did that.  It was awesome to hear that thing rev-match before a downshift in the middle of a corner or before it.  He also said it was very quick and easy to ride because of it.  Even when accelerating at part-throttle, the elimination of the clutch action is  much faster, which maintains momentum.  I can imagine what an advantage it would be.

That black VFR looks best. It would have sold better here if Honda offered it. I agree, the quick shifter is a great mod for the price. I do notice that it kills ignition even during clutched shifts as well. It's not noticeable but it changes shifting with the clutch ever so slightly at low revs. That was the first thing I noticed. It's probably good for the transmission though. You actually have to force yourself not to grab the clutch at redline because it feels so foreign at first.

• Member Contributer

I have the Rapid Bike tuning module on both my VFRs now and it comes with a quick shift option BUT it also requires a gear shift lever that has a link arm to engage the gear shaft, versus the standard issue shifter on the 98-09 models, where the lever attaches straight to the shaft. Basically, in order to use a quick shifter with the RB module, you have change out the rear sets to aftermarket ones that have the shift link arm.

Since the modification level is more than just adding a QS module, I am only going to do this to the 5 Gen, I really don't think my commuter/tourer needs a QS, especially after having done the amount of work it took on the 5 Gen to get that ready for one. Having ridden two different bikes at the track that had quick shifters, I can see how they make track riding a bit better but can't see the cost/benefit return being worth it to also do the 6 Gen. Perhaps if it was as simple as the new 8 Gen, I might have considered it but don't find it necessary on a mostly public road ridden motorcycle.

Here's how I ended up after buying Sebspeed's 5 Gen to CBR929 rear set adapters and some aftermarket rear sets.  This was the test fit for the shifter side.

42387264815_99e5786bc8_k.jpg

This is how the brake side ended up. Yes, I could have de-linked the brakes but quicker, easier and cheaper to just do what I did here.

30510440388_93c2a89ae2_k.jpg

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, V4Rid3r said:

Glad you guys liked it!

Duc2V4, that seems a pain in the a**...

If the VFR800F didn´t come with the pre instalation for the QS, I think I wouldn´t put one...

Cheers,

V4 Rider

I’m with you, kind of why I posted, so simple on the 8 Gen, not so much on the earlier Gens. Also not sure how the Power Commander handles QS and whether one needs a similar setup to the Rapid Bike. That being said, since I use the 5 Gen predominantly at the track now, I felt it was worth giving it a go but to add insult to injury, I’m still not 100% done yet. Too many weekend interruptions! Enjoy the quick shifter.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, Duc2V4 said:

I’m with you, kind of why I posted, so simple on the 8 Gen, not so much on the earlier Gens. Also not sure how the Power Commander handles QS and whether one needs a similar setup to the Rapid Bike. That being said, since I use the 5 Gen predominantly at the track now, I felt it was worth giving it a go but to add insult to injury, I’m still not 100% done yet. Too many weekend interruptions! Enjoy the quick shifter.

I have the Power Commander and the quick shifter installed on my 2015, and all works perfect together, no issues :)

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Corrugated said:

I have the Power Commander and the quick shifter installed on my 2015, and all works perfect together, no issues 🙂

Your 2015 is an 8 gen, I was referring to the 5&6 Gens, as they don't have quick shifter as a bolt on option. So not sure if having a Power Commander installed on 5&6 gens allows for bolt on QS using the stock shift lever or is more like the Rabid Bike requiring a link type shift mechanism.

Archived