No Electrical Power

glh97750f

My 97 VFR750 has lost all electrical power. The clock works until I turn on the key. When I turn on the key the clock fades, no lights come on. When I hit the starter nothing happens at all (not even a click from the starter) and the clock resets to 1:00. I have tried to jump start it with a car, replaced the battery, and the regulator/rectifier but there is still no power. Any advice on what I should check next?

Thanks,

Gary

• Member Contributer

I'm 500 miles away from my bikes working for the next 3 weeks so I can't go out to my garage to have a look at my bike and try to recreate your issue. The clock thing is odd.

Have a look at the main fuse and check its condition. Its a 30 amp in the vicinity of the solenoid. If you have a spare stick it in and see what happens.

If nothing, then check the ground from the battery to the solenoid and also to the frame. Clean both surfaces if they look a bit grotty. I have had ground issues on a few of my first gens that manifested themselves in strange ways.

Were you able to check the voltage on the original battery to prove it was low? Just curious.

A bike with a bad R/R will still start with a good battery, or a jump start. A friends 83 Kawasaki GPz1100's R/R died on our return to Maine from San Diego and we dragged him 1500 miles back by swapping batteries every 180-200 miles with my VF1000R. So the R/R should not be a problem with starting.

If neither of these work, look at cleaning your ignition switch. Its a bugger to get out but easy to clean by popping the bottom off, careful of the springs. Have a look at you tube for tutorials on 80's-90's Hondas. Ditto for the starting/kill switch. Lastly, check your side stand switch for sticking and grime and give it a clean. Hope its a simple fix and you are up and running soon.

• Member Contributer

A dirty kill switch took out my 6th gen, but I had a lot of warning before it got ugly. I'm suspecting a wiring failure if a new battery wouldn't start it.  The ignition switch could be the issue.

• 6 months later...

Here spring is springing, 07 has been on battery tender a few months. Went out to wake her up, removed tender, turned on ignition, clock displayed correct time, no lights, no fuel pump report, nothing. Dash went blank. Turned off ignition, turned back on, clock was reset to 1:00. Battery has 14VDC. It ran fine when I parked it. Ideas?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, supernatural5 said:

Here spring is springing, 07 has been on battery tender a few months. Went out to wake her up, removed tender, turned on ignition, clock displayed correct time, no lights, no fuel pump report, nothing. Dash went blank. Turned off ignition, turned back on, clock was reset to 1:00. Battery has 14VDC. It ran fine when I parked it. Ideas?

See Reply in "NO POWER WITH IGNITION ON" topic for the repeat issue of above.

Archived