Fi light issues

Dave80058

Hi 

So I believe this is a bit of a common issue ... Fi light glowing from time to time 

So threads say to cut out the earth block and solder all the wires together and run a couple of new earth wires ... this makes sense 

There was also a suggestion to give the Fi light circuit it's own earth so no items can earth back through this circuit .... again makes sense ... however what I don't get is how the ECU B1 wire can give you the specific wire from the ECU to cut from the earth block to connect to an earth point ... according to the manual the A7 ECU connection is for the Fi light circuit 

Any help to help to find the correct wire to connect to earth from the Fi circuit would be appreciated 

Thanks Dave 

Also, if I remember correctly the "glowing FI light" can be caused if somebody put LED bulbs in the instrument panel lighting, including the FI light position. 

You can put LEDs into every instrument panel position except for the FI light position.  The FI light position has to remain old-school incandescent.

• Member Contributer

If the glowing varies with your blinker, it is the earth block.

No need for a specific earth from FI circuit, the fault is in the earth block itself.

Most people just run an extra earth from where the earth block was to the frame or directly to battery.

That is all that is needed to fix the fault.

I don't know about LED bulbs as Greg mentioned, but its worth a look.

there are so many common earths on this bike- re do the earth block, and it should sort it.

electricity doesn't know what colour the wire is, it just follows the path of least resistance. When there is a small fault in the earths, power will backfeed and makes some things light up when it shouldn't. Give the electricity an easy negative path (battery or frame) and it follows it.

My old DRZ400SM used the dash neutral light as a common earth. when I changed to LED indicators, it used to light up faintly with the indicators, too. 

May run a couple of earths for good measure

Had the bike for a few years and it has just started doing this … cleaned up the earth block ( to be fair it looked like new)  fitted a VFRNESS for any rectifier faults in the future (although charging seems fine) stopped the issue for a few rides then it came back  … noticed when lights were off so was the Fi light glow for 20 miles or so … then it started again but not so bad as when the lights were on

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like it might explain my problem yesterday. I was cruising along downtown the other day when the FI light came on like I had flipped the kill switch. I played with the switch a bit and checked the connections behind the instrument panel to verify they were secure. No luck.

By chance I bumped the horn button and the light flickered. I hit the horn 4-5 times in rapid succession and the light went out. I fired it up and rode all over town.

Perhaps I need to locate this ground connection and clean it up or move fuel injection to a dedicated ground?

This sounds like it might explain my problem yesterday. I was cruising along downtown the other day when the FI light came on like I had flipped the kill switch. I played with the switch a bit and checked the connections behind the instrument panel to verify they were secure. No luck.

By chance I bumped the horn button and the light flickered. I hit the horn 4-5 times in rapid succession and the light went out. I fired it up and rode all over town.

Perhaps I need to locate this ground connection and clean it up or move fuel injection to a dedicated ground?
5th gen common ground bus connector fix...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/66045-urethra-i-found-it/&share_tid=66045&share_fid=35196&share_type=t

Archived