DIY Rear Wheel Balancing Solution?

Fer

I recently replaced my original tires, had no problem static balancing the front tire/wheel.Now I’m looking for a way to balance my rear wheel. I’ve seen cone shaped adapters for balancing single sided swing arm wheels, but they are pricey. Wondering if anyone has come up with a DIY solution for this.

• Member Contributer

I know it doesn't directly answer your question - but a Marc Parnes balancer for your '14 is $115 shipped - I have the version for my VFR's.  They're made like jewelry, very precise. IMHO this is one of those applications where it's worth the money.  There probably are some home brew solutions, but getting things lined up and cones made, etc is still going to cost some money - and that's not factoring in your time.  Marc's already got this one dialed in for a reasonable price.  Just my $.02. 

Thank you both for taking time to reply. I had looked at the No-Mar option (balance stand plus large cones for $300 or more) and couldn't pull the trigger. I had also poked around Marc Parnes site somehow missing the option specific to my VFR. That's probably what I'll wind up with.  Thanks again, and thanks for NOT suggesting balance beads. Cheers!   

• Member Contributer

On a number of long trips I have had to swap out my rear tire during the trip. The first time I did it I had the tire shipped to a buddies, but knowing he did not have a balancer I had some Dyna Beads shipped with the tire. I was skeptical they would work, but I put 4900 miles on the tire, some at pretty high speed and had no issues whatever. When I replaced the tire when I got back the beads looked like when I installed them. I have used them a couple more times in the same instances with no problems, though when home I prefer to balance my tires with my stand and weights. They are $7.99 for 2 ounces at Riders Domain, but you may be able to pick up some locally. I live in the sticks so have to order everything.

A few years back, Harbor freight offered a VFR rear wheel adaptor. They were like $5-$10 bucks. They are discontinued but have a look on e-bay every now and again and one may pop up. I have one and it works fine on my 3rd and 4th gen wheels.

Hope this is of some help.

Edit, OK scratch the beads :+)

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Fer said:

Thank you both for taking time to reply. I had looked at the No-Mar option (balance stand plus large cones for $300 or more) and couldn't pull the trigger. I had also poked around Marc Parnes site somehow missing the option specific to my VFR. That's probably what I'll wind up with.  Thanks again, and thanks for NOT suggesting balance beads. Cheers!   

When I bought my tire changer, it was a full kit, it had the changer, the balancer, plus a couple of spoons, the little “yellow thing” (as it’s called), the xtra hand tire clamp and the mount/dismount tool. I recall the large cone adapter being a bit less when I bought it ~$90 but I’d have to dig up receipt to know for sure, not that it changes the cost of it now.

I don’t remember the exact date I bought my kit but the whole deal was about $650 (shipped) and has paid for itself and then some. Now a lot of my friends and a few forum members, who I’ve only met when I changed their tires, come over and either get their tires changed and balance by me. Or in some cases, my friends come by and use the machine, usually for the price of a six pack of IPA (Lagunitas if you’re wondering).

If you have multiple bikes, the changer is almost mandatory, unless you know someone who has one, but if you’re the weekend type of rider who’s tires last more than a couple of years, probably not a worthwhile investment. Well, unless you start a tire changing service, then I’d say you should probably charge money, rather than IPA...then again if you drink a lot, it could pay for your habit!

• Member Contributer

Years ago on the Big List a member named Jeff Knights sold a simple wheel balancing kit he called "Tireqwik", which included a rear wheel adapter made from two Schedule 40 pvc pipe adapters.  I always thought it was a bit cheesy, but it works.  It appears to be a 1" threaded adapter glued into a 1-1/4" threaded adapter.  The important dimension is the OD of the larger adapter, which is just under 50mm and fits snugly into the "inside" of most VFR rear wheels.  The balancing rod doesn't have to be a snug fit, but it "feels" like it should be!  If the OD of the balancing rod being used is smaller than the ID of the 1" adapter, perhaps some other Schedule 40 pieces could be used to create a smaller ID.

Next to it in the second picture is one made by a Hawk GT aftermarket parts company whose name escapes me.  It was something like $50, whereas the Home Depot special costs about $5...

Ciao,

20180916_173945x.jpg

20180916_174149x.jpg

JZH, this is exactly the type of answer i was looking for when I posted, thanks. After seeing the Marc Parnes item though, I don't think I can settle for PVC.  

image.thumb.png.db05eea1f66d1f47e280176b5f0ed216.png

It looks nice, plus easy to use and store. Just put on wheel, then hang between jack stands, cinder blocks or whatever.

Now Duc2V4 has me considering a  tire changer for the beer and forced socialization haha. Might do me good. Plus it would save me from feeling like i had wrestled a bear for three hours!! But, the package he bought for $650 is now about $1000 shipped. Decisions,decisions. I've got a long off season coming up to think about it.

• Member Contributer

I've had Mark Panes for years and use it to balance VFR an other wheels as well.

One of the better dollars spent.

• Member Contributer

I definitely give the Mark Parnes balancer grade A score. I change my own tires and some for friends and relatives, but I

have the Harbor Freight changer. Not a super setup but works for the half-dozen or so tires I do a year. Do yourself a favor

and stick with a static balance, unless you can afford a spin balancer, and avoid the beads.

The "yellow hand thingy" from No-Mar is a wonderful thing if you change your own tires. It has saved many dents and holes

in mywalls from thrown tools and wrenches when the tire spins on the wheel while being mounted.

• 3 months later...

Archived